Is there a vegetable that I NEED to Plant?

GrowinVeggiesInSC

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I second the zucchini. I am mad that I didn't plant more. :he
I just tried the blossoms for the first time today (sauteed in butter and had them over pesto pasta). DELICIOUS! :thumbsup I would plant a few plants just to have more blossoms of I could. If you like zucchini, this is the way to go. There are so many different ways of eating it, and it freezes, too.
Just be aware that they need space. I lost two last year because I planted them too close together and they rotted after a heavy rain.
Good luck with whatever you choose!:tools

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'd suggest you try to grow something you have never eaten. It's extra and unexpected space. Experiment!

With 10 to 15 feet, you have room for 2 feet of radishes with the rest split between kale (recommend red russuan) and chard, which would be my choice. Bok choi is good and could be used instead of the chard or kale.

Yard-long beans.

Winter squash. Get the bush-type as you might have room problems with the vining habit squash. Depends on where your 10 to 15 foot is.

TillinWithMyPeeps

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I bought some zucchini seeds today. :D

I already have Chard, Kale, Jalapenos, Bok Choy and Plenty of tomatoes.

Thanks everyone!

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
How about asparagus, artichokes, kale, the early sprouting broccoli ( both purple & white). I know the asparagus & artichokes are long- term vegetables but both are expensive to buy & delicious. I am going to make room for both -- I used to have them in my last garden & I miss them so much. :thumbsup

:rose Hattie :rose

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
beavis said:
more tomatoes
:thumbsup

LOL. Are you a long lost relative. I put in a SECOND garden this year with half being tomatoes and guess what ???? I still have 2 dozen plants without a home. I gave a bunch away last year but I may get the tiller back out this year.

:watering Hummmm. Men don't always think of these except for mother's day and valentine's day but how about flowers. Great for the bees and all gardener's need them. I have never planted them in my garden before (except sunflower's) but I am going to this year. :bee With the declining bee population I want my garden to be the place to Bee. I am going with nasturium and marigolds. Both are awesome in a veggie garden.

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I agree about the flowers HunkieDorrie & I would add Sweet Peas, My Grandfather & his friends always grew them along side their beans & peas to encourage the :bee :bee :bee!!

:rose Hattie :rose

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Winter Squash. They are so delicious. I am growing sweet dumplings this year. I will definitely plant more next year.

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
obsessed said:
Winter Squash. They are so delicious. I am growing sweet dumplings this year. I will definitely plant more next year.
I am becoming a big fan of winter squash. I am trying a new hybrid this year, a butternut. It takes 140 days to harvest so I've already started it.