Is this rhubarb bolting.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
We planted this rhubarb last spring, this spring it started growing then this happened. Is it bolting? Is it bad for it to bolt? what if anything should be done with it? Thanks for any advice.

7254_rhubarb.jpg

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yup, thats the flowers. Mine just tried to do that too, and i chopped off the flower stalk. Not sure what the result of that will be, never tried it before. My rhubarb is in the greenhouse this year and went to seed much earlier than usual. I did make a really nice streusel rhubarb bread this week :)

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's just the seed head Collector. That's what rhubarb does. I cut mine off since it doesn't need to expend energy making seeds.

Cut it off or leave them on, it wont hurt either way.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, I went ahead and cut the seed head off. I hope it will keep growing and produce some rhubarb for us this season. Thank you guys for the responses! Streusel rhubarb bread Mmm, sounds delish.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mine did this last year- and is in full bloom right now... I was told it happens when it is time to separate the clump- at about 4-5 years old. That doesn't make sense for your new planting, though.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, I had to wonder about Collector's plant . . .

It looked like it was putting waaay too much into that blooming effort, at waaay too young an age. Does it look okay now, Collector?

My plants have tried to go to seed repeatedly this year. I have removed each and every bloom and harvested beaucoup stalks! Yes, the plants would probably benefit from dividing but with 5 plants, there's no more need here.

I could go into the rhubarb business, however ;). You know, there's a Rhubarb Barbecue Sauce recipe that sure looks good! A little hot pepper in there with the sugar, garlic and onions! Could make a go of it on an industrial scale!

Steve :p

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good luck with that, Steve... I couldn't give my plants away! Why is that something so easy to grow, really doesn't taste that great??

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Doesn't taste that great!!?

Next you'll be telling me that you don't like chives, Lesa!!

Wow! I'm really kind of excited about the rhubarb barbeque sauce idea :cool:! No, I'm not kidding . . . I just have to figure out if rhubarb freezes well so that I can try it when I've got lots of hot peppers and onions! DW is fixing me a steak for lunch, not that I deserve it but, I've got some real good focus on a barbeque sauce recipe right now!!

Rhubarb not tasting good?! You'll have Daisy crying because it won't grow in Texas ;).

Steve

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh geez, I should have known!! Actually, rhubarb freezes fine. I just chop it up and throw it in a freezer bag. I have made all kinds of things from rhubarb, rhubarb crisp, and sauce, etc. I would be willing to try rhubarb bbq sauce. I'll be your first customer!