It is HIS Birthday... no candle fires please!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ramen noodles on sale 12 cents a package. Still around still cheap
I only like those when I'm sick, too salty for me. What I actually like when I'm sick is asian soups or tortilla soup. There is a little place a couple blocks from me that makes the best tortilla soup!

Mary

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
WOW did this thread wander!!! LOL. (pretty much the usual here at TEG.) ;) Broke college student, I might have been but went to community college and lived at home. Mom feed me. :)

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I left home at 17, still in high school. Rice, packaged instant gravy and a hamburger patty! I thought I was cooking! My rent was $135 a month for an apartment in a nice area of Houston.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Kids :). My first apartment was in a basement. The owners were upstairs. The walls were knotty pine and it was quite spacious. Other than that, it was terrible! We could hear the owners if one or the other coughed! Rent: $55/month. We were outta there as soon as possible. Sublet a 2 bedroom for a summer in a complex with a swimming pool. $100. Hey! Then we moved to an upstairs place above two elderly ladies. Hard to keep them happy clearing the sidewalk and driveway during the winter but it was nice being up in branches of big trees.

I once admitted on TEG to discovering ramen noodles in the 1970's and becoming a dedicated broccoli addict as a result ;). The wheat grown where I was working was mostly exported and used for noodles. Okay, maybe I'll buy and cook some ;). Poaching an egg during the last couple of minutes and it was a complete meal.

Somewhere along in there, I figured out that the leafy greens I was eating at my favorite restaurant were either bok choy or Chinese cabbage. The Chinese cabbage from the supermarket was okay but I had to grow my own bok choy, otherwise blech! Having these 2 veggies available prompted me to begin stir-frying. Pea pods really clenched the deal! I like stir-fried noodles and rice but DW likes veggies quite simply, over rice.

I guess that this was how I have been able and oriented to having veggies in my diet. Really, it began as a child but I was not the person making those decisions.

Steve

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Can't even stand the SMELL of ramen noodles cooking!!! th2BOGKVFU.jpg
The landfill where I started out got a shipment 2 or 3 times a year of the sludge that comes out of the bottom of the vat where the noodles are cooked... And we had to sample and verify it against the profile
NASTIEST SMELL EVER... and I get waste water treatment sludge past the window every couple of days. :sick

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I could not wait to get out from under my parents roof. I would have moved out at 16 but my parents made it clear if I tried the police would drag me home. In a Italian household a child lived with parents till marriage, then bought a house. 2 months before my 18 birthday a friend was moving out of her cheap studio I took it never saying a word to my parents. My birthday I told them I had a apartment and was moving out that day. My mother in last effort to stop me asked what was I going to sleep on. When I said my bed, she told me that all the furniture in my bedroom she paid for and was staying. Like that would stop me LOL. It was a attic studio in a old Victorian house. Freezing in winter boiling in summer, but only $235 a month. All of my siblings at some point moved back home but me.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
WOW did this thread wander!!! LOL. (pretty much the usual here at TEG.) ;) Broke college student, I might have been but went to community college and lived at home. Mom feed me. :)

yes carol this thread was hi jacked 2 pages ago. might as well keep up with jacking.

@canesisters back when i was a route driver for the company we had 1 stop in rockingham,nc that was a processing plant for chickens the tire shop was next to the bi-product holding area. first time was there got out of my truck had a couple whiffs took all i had not to toss my cookies while there.

Latest posts