It's finally starting to feel real!

peteyfoozer

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
All this time I have been plotting, planning and patiently (NOT) tending, there are a couple of small fruits on one of the tomatoes, the corn has germinated, the carrots have tops, the squash plants are up and my strawberries are delicious! I can't wait until this garden fills out!
Meantime, the meatie chickens remain on bug patrol because SOMETHING ate my first squash plants down to the dirt. (no, it wasn't chickens!) :barnie

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Grow some other stuff with them. I would suggest throwing in radish seeds. They will take over any spare spaces and will attract bugs to their leaves, but they won't die from the insects. I have zucchini in a bed with flowering spinach, 3 potato plants, and radishes and the bugs are ignoring my squash.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I like to spread radish seed around the garden too, helps with pest control and you get some quick radishes in less then 30 days to fill in my need for something to hurry up and ripen! :lol:

Mine is really looking full right now, but I've only gotten 1 corn ear and the rest of my winter planted carrots. Tomatoes and peppers are covered... not big enough or ripe enough to pick. And I have 1 cuke that is taking forever to get to size! UGH!

SO I feel you! :lol:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Real is some nice warm weather and we got it today, Petey. Currently, it is 5pm and 75F, lots of sunshine & no wind! Tomorrow is supposed to be above 80.

I see a "special weather statement" for Lakeview, Oregon. Lots of rain coming in on Friday & Saturday with snow in elevations somewhere above 5 to 6,000 feet!

Will that weather system reach all the way over to you? At 4,800 feet, at least Lakeview won't be expecting snow but still . . .

Steve
where the weather is supposed to deteriorate after tomorrow, also

peteyfoozer

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I've been biting my lip hoping it won't snow here Steve! There are some high clouds and its much cooler today but it looks pretty good so far. I thought i posted a reply the other day but my server has been ditzy lately so it must have lost it somewhere. My green beans are up now too, and lots of the tomatoes have fruit on them! Makin me feel better. I started earlier this year and things are maturing later than ever. Go figure! LOL

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
An overnight frost advisory has been issued for Tulelake & Lakeview, Petey.

I think the concerns about frost are mostly to the north of those communities, but still . . . It would be a shame for your garden to have gone so far and then have such an eventuality befall it :/.

You know about that dry air . . . A sprinkler running between 4am & 7am would calm my nerves if'n I lived thereabouts.

Steve

peteyfoozer

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I think you are right, I better get out the hose and buckets again! :fl

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Peteyfoozer, I read in amazement that you may be threatened by a frost! We are in the 100's and I am going to have to pull my cabbages (all 4 of them lol) because they are planted next to the driveway and are getting scorched. In our climate, we have to beat the heat, not the frost. I hope your garden rewards all your hard work soon!

ducks4you, never knew that about the radishes, I will certainly try that. I have some purple radish seed from Baker Creek that I will be planting for the fall garden. Thanks for the tip!

Latest posts