It's horseradish time....

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
We dug a bunch of horseradish and processed it yesterday. Holy cow!! We almost killed ourselves! This stuff was so strong, it was blinding- you couldn't breath!! I think this jar is going to last a very long time... I am considering drawing a skull and cross bone on it! Last time we did it in the food processor (which kind of kept the gases contained), this time we used the juicer- which kind of sent the odor out into the kitchen. Next year, we are processing out on the deck! Would love to hear if anyone who got some of my horseradish, had any success with it...

RidgebackRanch

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Hi Lesa, Do you mix your processed horseradish with anything, like vinegar? We have lots of it and it is always strong when it is first processed but quickly loses its' punch after a few weeks in the firdge. :hu

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, we put it through the juicer and put it in a jar. Then, I added enough vinegar to just cover it, and stirred it in. Ours really hasn't become milder with time, in previous years. I won't be too sad if this gets a little milder! Talk about clearing your sinuses!

RidgebackRanch

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Thanks, I was told to grow it on the dry side to make it more pungent, so we will see if that made a difference this year. :)

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
At one time I lived near a factory that made horseradish sauce. The workers picked up airline masks at the door and wore them all day. They looked like a bunch of Martians when you looked through the window.

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
lesa said:
We dug a bunch of horseradish and processed it yesterday. Holy cow!! We almost killed ourselves! This stuff was so strong, it was blinding- you couldn't breath!! I think this jar is going to last a very long time... I am considering drawing a skull and cross bone on it! Last time we did it in the food processor (which kind of kept the gases contained), this time we used the juicer- which kind of sent the odor out into the kitchen. Next year, we are processing out on the deck! Would love to hear if anyone who got some of my horseradish, had any success with it...
Lesa, I still have the horseradish that you sent me wrapped loosely in paper towles in a cripser my fridge. I've been looking for a big container to plant it in and haven't found one yet. I read where it would keep in the fridge, I hope that's right!

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
You could try growing it the English way. They take a length of fairly large plastic pipe (like sewer pipe) and split it lengthwise. Then they bind it back together with something like baling wire. Fill it with your potting mix and plant the horseradish in it. That gives you a long straight root. When you are ready to harvest just cut the wire bindings and there it is. A long root with no digging.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey, that is a cool idea, Hoodat! Some of my roots were far from straight!

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
We planted the roots you sent us. They came up and got about a foot tall this year, we are hoping to harvest some next year. What we didnt plant in our garden we shared with my brother to plant in his garden. Thank you for sending it to us , We are excited to see what happens with it next year!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am so glad to hear that the roots grew! I just wasn't sure if it would work! Found a recipe for horseradish and parsnips...going to try it for Thanksgiving!

Latest posts