Jackpot on free plants! I just hope it isn't too late!

maidservant

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I went to the feed store in town yesterday to try and sell some ducks and bunnies, but too many people were on vacation so I didn't sell anything. But, the lady who was working told me that if I was interested in any of the veggie plants outside to get as many as I wanted for free! They weren't selling any more, since most people already have their garden in, and they were just going to throw them out. I brought home as much as I could stuff in my car! I figure, even if none of the plants live, at least I have some nice little pots to start stuff in next year!

Here is the list of plants that I got:
Peppers:
66 jalepeno
1 pimento
3 cayenne
27 red chili
27 habanero
8 sweet banana
3 keystone sweet bell
8 tabasco
2 california wonder
5 hot banana
about 15 unmarked varieties (they look like jalapenos)

Veggies/fruit:
15 long green cucumber
9 pickling cucumber
6 burpless cucumber
6 ambrosia cantelope
6 sugar baby watermelon
24 crimson watermelon
12 jubilee watermelon
27 congo watermelon

Most of the plants look ok, most of the peppers look great. Only about 1/8 of the peppers that I've planted were root bound, but hopefully they will still grow. I've planted nearly 100 of the pepper plants so far. I do not have room for that many watermelons or cantelopes! Does anyone in North Carolina want to try and grow any of the watermelons and cantelopes? I can't guarantee that they will grow, but for the price, it's worth a shot!

I'll try to get photos of what was part of our yard yesterday, lol.
Emily in NC
Zone 7b

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:ep Wow thats a lot, You were very lucky, why cant i get any free plants..lol :lol:
That lady was nice to give them all to you better than throwing them away.

You dont think it would be too late to plant the melons?

hikerchick

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have a Community Supported Agriculture share and my at my first pickup I told my sad story of how the groundhogs ate all of my plants. They gave me 6 heirloom tomato plants; 12 swiss chard plants, and about a half dozen assorted pepper plants. I thought that was great. You hit the jackpot!!

Now I have the fun of seeing whose plants produce first and better - me (the accountant) or the farmers who grow my food.

Should we start a pool on that one?:gig

maidservant

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Greenthumb18 said:
You dont think it would be too late to plant the melons?
I don't know if it's too late or not, but I'm still going to try. The first set of cantelopes I planted were 5 ft tall (they're trellised) within two weeks, and at four weeks (now) they have 2 almost ripe melons and about 7-8 smaller melons growing!

Latest posts