Japanese beetles and blueberry bushes

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Smart Red, how large an area did you use milky spore on? Just your yard and garden?
I have dug up a lot of grubs in the garden this spring already. I hope they are not all JBs. They are pretty large; maybe they are "June bugs," or those big brown beetles that fly around the lights at night. I don't see them eating my garden, at least.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Are JB's attracted to lights at night like June bugs are? We have a security light and the June bugs flock to it. During the day, they burrow in the sand. Our Australian shepherd sniffs them out, digs them up and eats them. Saves on dog food! LOL it would be nice if JB's behaved like June bugs, then my dog could eat them.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I used Milky Spore around my lawn and gardens for 4 years, so I sort of did one section one year and another the next. Milky Spore will spread underground as it kills the grubs and will keep spreading as long as there are grubs to infect. I read somewhere that an application of Milky Spore is good for 7 years.

Since JBs tend to fall to the ground and dig into the soil to lay their eggs, I started applying MS around and near their favorite foodstuffs and worked out from there.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I used Milky Spore around my lawn and gardens for 4 years, so I sort of did one section one year and another the next. Milky Spore will spread underground as it kills the grubs and will keep spreading as long as there are grubs to infect. I read somewhere that an application of Milky Spore is good for 7 years.

Since JBs tend to fall to the ground and dig into the soil to lay their eggs, I started applying MS around and near their favorite foodstuffs and worked out from there.
Great idea, adding Milky spore to my shopping list.

Latest posts