Just broke ground on a fallow field of weed trash, now should I fertilize?

Should I fertilize?

• Yes, use the free horse manure.

Votes: 10 90.9%
  • Yes, spend money you don't have on expensive stuff.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, be lazy and wonder what could have been.

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters

258 Pots

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
What about soaker hoses?
Thinking about that, that is a bit of work. Going to another irrigation house, I figure I need a bird with about a 32' to 35' diameter, the only issues is because I expect one bird to water a 32-35' foot diameter most set ups use crossover to fill in the blanks, I don't quite have the resources to just go buy what I need. If I go with soaker hoses I just need to plan out the entire 64' by 88' garden and that is a lot of hose, unless I am going to be moving it each time I water. I figure with weeding on this fallow ground that will keep me busy enough.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeah, you definitely won't be wanting to move soakers around after you plant. very awkward! And cumbersome!
I tried that one year and ended up breaking a lot of plants.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a nice 70' by 100' area that had laid fallow since it was plowed and left in 2007. I raked up most of the dead trash and just ground in the live plants. I am now wondering if I should fertilize it and till in some good horse manure (it's all I can get that's free and that fits my budget ;) )

I know the answer is yes but figured maybe you all could get me motivated for the heavy poop lifting...

Here is a pic before I completed tilling, did I mention I am 49 and this is my first garden. Not the first garden I cut, I made one previously for my lovely wife, this one is the first I ever made that I plan on planting in, why did it take me so long to get smart??? what a long strange trip it's been...
Will till in the horse and chicken manure every early spring. Here we need to add limestine also to the soil. I have 2 composers going for addition to the planting holes of heavy feeders like broccoli and eggplant.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Yeah, you definitely won't be wanting to move soakers around after you plant. very awkward! And cumbersome!
I tried that one year and ended up breaking a lot of plants.
I have used soakers before but I kept them in the bed all season. We live in a reclaimed swamp, aka "Illinois", but it also dries out. I kept soakers in with my peppers and I got a bumper crop with them (2013.)

Latest posts