keeping pickling cukes crisp..

trunkman

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I recently noticed that when I pick pickling cukes and just put them in the fridge they start getting soft within hours, well I saw a video on You tube that said to put cukes in a storage bad in the crisper drawer in the fridge and that they would stay fresh for up to two weeks. I tried it and it worked, I only tried it for one week though and when I pickled them they were still firm and crisp, it really worked!! :D

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
trunkman said:
I recently noticed that when I pick pickling cukes and just put them in the fridge they start getting soft within hours, well I saw a video on You tube that said to put cukes in a storage bad in the crisper drawer in the fridge and that they would stay fresh for up to two weeks. I tried it and it worked, I only tried it for one week though and when I pickled them they were still firm and crisp, it really worked!! :D
I store mine in brown lunch bags, so they can "breathe". I dont use plastic or air tight ones.

trunkman

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
4grandbabies said:
trunkman said:
I store mine in brown lunch bags, so they can "breathe". I dont use plastic or air tight ones.
I'll have to try that too, thanks:)

RidgebackRanch

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
This may not work for many people, but DW will get the pickling stuff ready in the kitchen and then go harvest the pickles. She has them in the jar within one hour of picking. I will try the crisper drawer for the slicing cukes, because you are right they get soft quickly in the fridge. :)

SweetMissDaisy

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
trunkman said:
Do you mean like a zip lock type bag?

trunkman

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
SweetMissDaisy said:
trunkman said:
Do you mean like a zip lock type bag?
That's exactly what I put them in.. :)

old fashioned

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
To re-crisp old/soft pickle cukes, try soaking them in cold water in the fridge overnight before pickling. I did this last year with ours & it worked.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've used the ice water trick, too. Don't forget to put a grape leaf in each canning jar- that will keep your pickles crisp...

Latest posts