Kitchen nightmare on Halloween

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a dining room. There is a 110" long oak table with 8 huge bow back chairs, a matching china cabinet with rose etched, leaded glass in the doors. It will not fit in new house. Right now, dining room is stacked with empty boxes, waiting to be filled for the move. Dining table is covered in dry seeds, need to bag them up. Maybe I'll go for one of those formica topped tables with padded, roller, swivel chairs and go for comfort instead of aesthetics.

Present utility room holds hot water heater, upright freezer, washer and dryer. Future utility room will hold new washer, dryer (stacked) and upright freezer with a bonus of squeezing by on way to kitchen.

Present refrigerator (huge beast) will go in garage sale, buyers can take door off to get it out of the house. Future refrigerator is much smaller, but fits in space allocated.

I waited for years for that dining table and china cabinet.........oh well. I would rather have the 8 acres and eat off paper plates. :)

flowerweaver

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Be careful @baymule if you decide to put it into storage thinking you'll eventually add on. I put mine into non-climate controlled storage and after a decade it was pretty much destroyed. Still using it 14 years later but it's going to be a sewing table once I replace it.

Last edited:

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nah, not going to try to keep it. I live in a house with big rooms, moving to a thousand less square feet and plan on being there a loooooong time.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I do have a formal dining room. It is used for Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, (you get the picture?). The rest of the year it either sits empty and decorative or it holds whatever craft or school projects the Grands are working on.

Ya know only someone with half a deck would put white/blue/beige carpeting in an eating room. Well, 40 years later, the carpeting looks like new since no one dares use the room for its intended purpose. Same for the living room. No one steps into that room unless they want privacy. Real living takes place in the family room and kitchen.

flowerweaver

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@Smart Red I can honestly say EVERY part of our house is very lived in--maybe a bit too much LOL. This taken moments before the tornado hit our house in June. (Although it is pitch black outside it's 4:30 in the afternoon). Tucker doesn't have a barn yet and was quite a good boy inside. Fortunately (or unfortunately, which ever way you look at it) I still have stripped concrete for flooring.

upload_2014-11-7_10-12-39.jpeg

When you have as many pet chickens as we do, it's a rare day not to have somebody convalescing around here.
upload_2014-11-7_10-18-41.jpeg

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
We're like Smart Red, only use the dining room to eat on special occasions. But you have to walk through it to get to the kitchen and the rest of the house. It also holds our desk in a corner with our computer, so I feel that at least we use this room alot even if it's not for eating. It also holds our wine rack which I love to see!

Mary

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Smart Red I can honestly say EVERY part of our house is very lived in--maybe a bit too much LOL. This taken moments before the tornado hit our house in June. (Although it is pitch black outside it's 4:30 in the afternoon). Tucker doesn't have a barn yet and was quite a good boy inside. Fortunately (or unfortunately, which ever way you look at it) I still have stripped concrete for flooring.

View attachment 4933

When you have as many pet chickens as we do, it's a rare day not to have somebody convalescing around here.
View attachment 4934
I love that picture of Tucker!
At our old fixer upper we had concrete floors for 10 years while we worked on other more important stuff. I had a gelding that would follow me anywhere and I always wanted to bring him in the house and take a picture of us eating salad in the kitchen.
My husband is a tile man btw.... and finally got to the floors.

Looks like you have Tecate tile on your floor? We put in Tecate tile too throughout the whole (tiny) house. We used the Super Saltillos. I loved that floor!

flowerweaver

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@thistlebloom Tucker KNEW that storm was something out of the norm, the way he was galloping about. We have thick saltillos in our foyer and hearth. I love that tile, too, but unfortunately it's going to have to come out. We didn't know the previous owners hadn't sealed it, and between a small leak and a friend crashing a bag of ice down on it, we lost about eight tiles and many more are loose. Haven't decided what I want to replace them with.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score

View attachment 4933

View attachment 4934
Flower-I cannot stop laughing. So you brought them in because of the tornado warning? Don't you have to be in a cellar? It hit your house?

Latest posts