Kiwi Wow Are They Good

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@Zeedman , I have had this ornamental kiwi for a long time it's growing intermingled with English ivy against a wooden fence atop a cement wall in our gravel driveway, so no, not taking up any of my precious bean space. Now the boat is gone I turned this area into a little courtyard. This picture doesn't show much of the actinidia but it's all along the top of the ivy. We take the hedge trimmer to it in early spring.
DSCN6024.JPGDSCN6021.JPG
Fence side...................................................House side.................................................
My son has promised me a new gate and arch to replace the old wooden gate at the bottom of the picture but I might be waiting awhile, he has a new lady in his life:love.

I first saw this beautiful vine back in the 70's covering the back wall of a house and I was gobsmacked. It wasn't readily available but the owner of my favorite nursery brought one in for me. I'd been growing it a few years and was telling him how pleased I was with it. He said if you want I could bring in a female for you they bear a tasty little fruit. Fruit?:drool
Of course I said yes, please, It took awhile for the female to get going and it was about 3 years before I saw flowers, maybe 2 or 3, never did get any fruit I think the birds got them if there was any. When it did start bearing the first couple of years it was a race to see who got the fruit but since then the birds have left it alone. They come ripe in August here.
Annette

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I planted them round hot tub for the vines.Somewhere I saw a photo of a single vine 2 stories high, then @catjac1975 said she needed a back hoe to dig up. I was afraid they where to close to house and moved them.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Nyboy dw sent a small one and a t-rex egg size, the small one was tart twisted my head around, the monster was ...omg so sweet banana and strawberry taste...

Latest posts