Like to Post Baby Pics

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@SweetMissDaisy , I named @marshallsmyth 's tomato, General Mischief. This year, I have another of his creations that he has named Amy Sue.

@ninnymary, you are asking me!!?

The guy sitting sideways at the PC because there are 20 containers on the table in the South Window behind him?!

Well, let's see ... it first stayed above 50°f overnight on May 2nd, last year. However, the overnight temperatures didn't stay above 50° until after July 1st! Soooo, I'd say you are getting close to being able to leave them outdoors. 50° is a good benchmark for things like peppers & melons.

Steve

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have more than once left my broccoli seedlings out over night and found green ice pops in the morning. The very worst loss however was when I left them on the picnic table and came home to nothing but the tough leaf center vein left behind. Woodchucks like their leaves tender.

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
... just tell Paint to resize it to 50%, or something.
I was trying to do it the lazy way and not have to edit each photo ..:hide
... a smaller photo with the camera seems to be working.

Onion problems- that's why I started buying them rather than starting seed. If I can get in the garden early the seedlings work out better for me. Late, and I go with the sets.

A quick shot of my first baby peppers and some teeny coleus ...

IMG_0518.JPG

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, those peppers look good, @Lavender2 ! (I'll take your word that there are "teeny coleus" in that tray ;).)

I have a simple camera (Sony Cyber-shot) but am more likely to have the cell phone when I think to take a picture. It doesn't do a very good job. The tablet camera doesn't do much better but because I've never learned to turn off the autoflash on the camera, I usually use the tablet, indoors. It seems to gather enuf light. Besides, I can use the tablet to upload a picture.

The camera can't upload ... I must plug it into the PC and get the picture into a file folder. Then, I can right click it and see what it more-or-less looks like in Paint. Paint isn't clever enuf to automatically turn it right-side up if it is turned wrong. Since I've started using Paint, I don't think I've posted any picture on TEG that doesn't appear right-side up!

If TEG complains about the picture being too large. I can go right back to Paint and reduce it in size. Only the camera will give me pictures that are too large for TEG. I don't know what I'd need to do to reduce the size when the picture is taken, maybe I can't do anything. (Maybe I should find & read the manual but ... where's the fun in that?!)

:) Steve

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mary, if you are nervous about leaving the pepper plants and melons out, you could put a cut-off milk carton or something similar around them for a few days.

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
(I'll take your word that there are "teeny coleus" in that tray ;).)
Hey!... put your glasses on! :lol:

Maybe I should find & read the manual but ... where's the fun in that?!)
The only camera I have is ... a camera.:p I just push buttons til I figure it out. :D .. that manual is sooo long!

I was in a pinch for more bottom heat area ... works great! Lights are flat on a metal baking tray, dome covered flat on cookie cooling racks. The towel retains enough heat to keep the soil between 82 and 90°. I'm popping up peppers in 7 days!

IMG_0523.JPG

There's just a few lights directly under the flat (or it gets too hot). The rest are around it.
:bow - to all who submitted the cheap light idea!

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Lavender, that was thistle's idea. That's what she uses. Me, I'm still chicken that I will burn the house down! haha

Mary
I thought I saw a few people using the lights so wasn't real sure ...

I use many lights on a real tree for three weeks and it hasn't set it a blaze so I figure it's pretty safe. Besides, @thistlebloom is still here... :D

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I believe @Ridgerunner also uses the lights, Lavender. However, I think he stands nearby with a fire extinguisher for the full 7 days.

I don't know enough about electricity to even trust a heating pad.

Steve

Latest posts