Loan Sharks

Larisa

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm ready to believe again soon in Santa Claus than in the low payments.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have never taken credit cards at my business. At least 1x a month a credit card company will call me about how I should take credit cards, my reply is always the same why should I give you a percent of my business every month.Not only is the card holder charged but so is the place accepting the card. Amex would take 4% of money paid with their card from me each month.

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have never taken credit cards at my business. At least 1x a month a credit card company will call me about how I should take credit cards, my reply is always the same why should I give you a percent of my business every month.Not only is the card holder charged but so is the place accepting the card. Amex would take 4% of money paid with their card from me each month.
What places do around here is have a cash price and a credit price so no money is lost by taking credit cards.
Some friends of mine have a ice cream business and just recently started taking credit and debit cards. Before when they told people they didn't take cards some would leave and others would leave and return after a trip to the ATM.
After 3 ms. of accepting cards their monthly net has increased by over 10% and that is with them now closing on Mondays, which they have only been doing for the last month.
So they are happy they decided to take cards.

THANX RICH

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Owner of a store in town said young people never carry cash any more, they will put a can of soda on a card. Do you know when store has a sign, purchase has to be over certain amount that is illegal, if they take credit cards they have to take for any amount.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have seen a lot of smaller stores and businesses with a sign that gives different prices for card vs. check or cash. I'm pretty sure adding on to the price is illegal, but giving a cash discount is legal. It's all in the wording and perception.

Many of us who have been in business wouldn't try to put a small purchase on a card. We know the cost of that.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeah, Rich, I have seen smaller Mom and Pop stores with those signs up: $5 minimum for cards, or what ever they decide. I guess it's one of those things, no one knows who to complain to, or no one cares enough to make a fuss. I guess most folks have other things to worry about.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would have smiled at her and told her everything in my store is $5 by credit card next time. Next time bring cash or expect to pay $5 per item.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
We owned a furniture store and we accepted credit cards. When someone asked if we could make them a better deal, we asked how they were going to pay for it, finance, credit card, check, cash, their first born, their dog.... Most people were ok with us asking for their first born, but not their dog! :lol:

Latest posts