Look at these bizarre beans!

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
I bet everyone on this forum has seen these but me.

blackyellowbeans.jpg

I planted the "Variety pack" in my garden and this is what appeared. They are black and yellow!!

Did you know that a toddler that refuses to eat green beans has no problems with black or yellow beans? I'm planting gobs of these next year.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I've seen yellow and purple, but not black. I wonder if it would work with my DS... He will not touch a green bean.

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
There are also red and mutli-colored beans. You really need to try Dragontongue beans. They taste great and stay edible even when large (no strings). They're a popular variety, so do good in many places. They can be used both as a snap/green bean and as a dry bean. Oh, and they're yellow with purple stripes.

I bet that @Marshall has some colorfully-podded bean pics that he could show you. :)

Hal

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Nice beans! If your planting more coloured types take a look at one called Red Swan as it has reddish pods, Dragon Tongue recommended by SeedO is a good bean to try.
Purple Amazon are worth trying as they are good flavour and yield very well with nice purple pods.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
How exciting!! I want to try them all :D the wonderful @baymule gave me Thai #2 long beans to try, those aren't a special color but I bet Alexii will loooove them when they grow up. :D

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
You are discovering the fun of "gardening outside of the box!" Industrial mass produced produce must be uniform in shape, color, have no taste and be BORING. Home grown produce is delicious, fresh, different, and colorful!

I can see a toddler that doesn't like green beans being intrigued by colorful beans. Good job!

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
We also went berrying today -- so rewarding to hear him yelling "Treat, Treat!" meaning berries and not candy.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@AMKuska real food, growing your food, berry picking.......these are the things that make childhood memories. And your toddler might grow up to have his own garden someday!

Latest posts