Look What I Found

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Went up to our cabin to do our annual cleaning and as we were making trips to the yard waste, I noticed 5 old barrels! Asked the guy if he was selling them and he said no but that I could have one of the 2 old broken ones. My husband found a handle at home depot and I hope it will age soon to blend in. I just LOVE the yellow color! Haven't decided what I will plant in it yet. Maybe carrots since it's not the deep kind of barrel.
photo (18).JPG

Last edited:

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Great find Mary! Why don't you age the handle artificially? I'd stain it, or rub it with dirt and coffee grounds to at least darken it up so it doesn't yell- Hey look at me I'm new!!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thistle, that's a great idea! I think I'll do the dirt and coffee grounds since that's easier. Oh, the things I learn here on TEG. Love this place with it's great people!

Mary

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
YEAH! Free can not be beat :) As soon as I saw the post title my mind went *She found her wheelbarrow, YES!* Carrots would be fun in it. Lots of spilling flower would, too. Be sure you have some drainage. Have FUN.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Carol, my husband made 1 small drainage hole. Is this enough? He was afraid to make it too big and the soil would come out.

Mary

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I might make a few small holes, at the lowest point. (If the hole lets soil through, place some screen over the hole.) I thought I had enough in the wash tub but something in the soil must have plugged it and I got a soupy wet mess after a heavy rain. (Impatients do NOT like to sit in wet soil.)

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
YEAH!! Great find Mary!
I can't really help with the drainage thing, the 'holes' in my wheel barrow planter are the rust spots that got so big that it eventually fell off the handles/wheel. LOL Mine sits on the ground. But I would think that maybe the hole(s) should go up by the handle end so that a little water can 'pool' in it on the deep end.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
YEAH for the wheel barrow,@ninnymary! Great find!

If you lay some landscape material over the bottom (or just the holes) it will keep the soil inside and allow the water to get out. That way the holes can be a bit bigger with soil no problems.

To quickly age your new handle, to a quart of vinegar add some rusty nails or steel wool. Let set a day or two and just wipe or sponge the liquid onto your handle. DIL did this to age a cupboard my son built. Here are the AGING directions.

Latest posts