Looking for some input/advice on my backyard landscape design :)

maggienchamp

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm a new member to this fantastic forum -
The reason I joined is because I'm looking for some advice about the landscape design I created for my backyard, and I figured this would be a great place to start. I'm pretty new to gardening in general, my only experience has been with a couple of indoor & outdoor plants and a few years with a veggie garden; My mom has always been the gardener of the family :) But in the past year or two, I've taken a real interest in it, probably due to my love for living a healthy and organic lifestyle.
So this year, I decided to re-do part of my landscape in the backyard - it's the space right up against the back wall of my house; the shape of the house + porch creates a little square area. My parents did plant the area years ago, but we all felt it was in need of a little updating :) The forum isn't allowing me to post any pictures at the moment because I'm a new member, but you should be able to find the link to the design on my profile!

Any advice regarding the plant selections, layout, and/or anything else you can think of would be much appreciated! Here are a couple of my concerns:

- Did I incorporate too many varieties of plants and not "repeat" them enough in the design? In other words, will the space look jumbled and random?
- Based on my plant choices, will the area be appealing year-round (not so much in the winter, as I know that many gardens loose their visual appeal during the winter months, but more during the spring, summer, and fall)?
- Is the garden going to require a lot of maintenance every year?

A couple of side notes: The two chicken coops are already there, I just wanted to put that into the design to see it as a whole. The Lilac tree and raspberry bush are also already in that area.

Finally, what would you recommend using as a mulch? As of right now, we just have a layer of white stone. All of that will be removed, and were going to put some sort of mulch down to protect the plants - any opinions?

Thank you so much for any input you give - it's greatly appreciated! :D

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome to our forum Maggie!

I have not yet looked at your site, but in general, that deal of having only a few varieties and species repeated is a concept landscape designers use at public or business places, and way too much so in my opinion. Especially for a home, the more variety the better. Sure, things can be themed, and colors should be coordinated. The concept of planting groups in triangles of 3 works well in a home setting too. But in home settings you get to tuck things in around those little triads, where at businesses and such they like things to have a sterile clean look with bark chips or red lava between groups. I think the worst thing landscapers do is put things like Primroses in rows. Bleyeeech! Follow the regular thing of tall in back, short in front, runners and creepers between, make sure plants have their desired habitats and situations.

There indeed are winter appealing plants! It's often a different ethos or feel than the other seasons. The twigs of a bare Cherry or red barked Crabapple, the informal shape of a Dogwood, or the rustic look of many shrubs large and small bare of leaves up north, or in better climates, their rugged or bright greens or berries hanging provide an alternate beauty.

Not just plant choices, but shapes create beauty. A wandering path that disappears around a bend makes the viewer want to see more.

Depending on your soil, but Oak Leaf Mold is a great mulch. Wood chips over cloth groundcover make a neat choice!

Now to your site!

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's not there in your profile that i can find maggie.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome Maggie! :frow

I didn't see your link?

I started out using the landscape fabric, but found out that the meanest weeds will just grow through it anyway (quackgrass...grrr! :somad ) and then it is annoying to manipulate when you want to dig to add anything else. A thick enough layer of mulch will do the trick all by itself. More is more, IMO, but try to get down at least 4 good inches and expect some settling. Eventually it will break down and improve your soil too. You definitely need the mulch when your perennials are small, but eventually they will fill everything in and it won't be an issue anymore.

I'm in the process of planning the landscaping for the front of my house. The best tip I got was to vary the types of foliage...visual interest is created by the color, shape and texture. That is the part that will be with you most of the year. Grasses usually hold up well through winter. Bushes with berries or those with red or curly twigs are nice too. Plan the color of your blooms secondary to the foliage. Also, group plants in clusters of 3 for a natural look (and you can throw in some 5's or 7's of fillers or background plants)...odd numbers look best.

I'll check back later to see if your link is up... We love pics around here. :D

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Welcome, Maggie! :welcome
I have 5 acres, 4 is horse pasture, but I just want to suggest that you plant a lot of no-care plants in your landscape to begin. Just like in sewing, Nobody likes to mess up and have to rip out a seam, Nobody likes to baby perennials, and have to dig up dead ones.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Start small, one garden at a time, so you do not become overwhelmed. If a plant fails do not assume it is your fault. Many plants are sold that are not appropriate for the locale where they are sold.

Reaction score
Hi Maggie! Welcome to the forum! I am new here too, and I really want to contribute with some helps here. :)

I have been busy with decorating my own garden this past few days, and aside from those plants which I have on my garden, I added some outdoor embellishments which made the place more appealing too. I had the plan of developing it into an area where I can spend time with my family too. I divided the place and one part was developed into a garden, then in the other part, I've got a wooden table and chairs where my family can stay at night. I also installed 2 torches from BuyTikiTorches so that we can use it as a light at night. It was really great and my family loved it! You just have to be careful if you want to have those torches. Follow the important precautions so that it will maximize its uses. ^_^

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
A lot of the campers here have those tiki torches. Being off grid here and rustic, they do make a nice outdoor light and feel, and are only actually lit on rare occasions. I have one but I never use it. It's rattan construction just looks good. I have it where I tried to grow a Sago Palm a few years back.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
journey11 said:
I started out using the landscape fabric, but found out that the meanest weeds will just grow through it anyway (quackgrass...grrr! :somad ) and then it is annoying to manipulate when you want to dig to add anything else.
Ditto on the landscape fabric! I do plan to use it in the garden rows, but only where I can pull it up each year, clean it, and put it back down.

Actually, I've found that good fabric lasts for years and DOES keep the meanest of weeds from growing up through it, but does nothing to keep the tiniest of seeds from growing down into it. Therein lies the problem.

I'd stick to lots of mulch where I'm planting and skip the fabric.

Love, Smart Red

Latest posts