Making a Ristra

VVolfpack

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I've been looking around online for how to make a ristra, however there's not a whole lot on it... This is my first attempt, I just ran a needle and string through the stems.
Do i need to slit the peppers any to help them dry and keep from rotting? I'm not sure about hanging them outside, with bugs around and all. Is it okay to leave it inside? and should it be in the sun or a dark place?

I'm sure I'll have more questions as soon as I think of them

7141_dscn1670.jpg

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Looking great. So long as you don't let it get wet it should be fine. You want to keep all the seeds inside, that's where the heat is, so I wouldn't slit them. In Mexico they hang them right out in the sun and bring them in at night but you'll get brighter color if you keep it out of the sun.

Kim_NC

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Looking good so far!

I never slit mine and I always keep them inside. I tie them to a clothes drying rack (one of those fold up kind) and store it in a spare guest room until dry. I throw a sheet over the rack to keep any dust off of them. Often I dry bundles of herbs on the rack at the same time.

Wow...I've dried peppers like this for 20+ years and never knew it had a name....ristra....Thanks!

watsonlane

Leafing Out
Reaction score
i know most of you will think this is such a stupid question but......whats the point in doing this - drying the peppers whole like this? What is to be done with them?

Kim_NC

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Not dumb at all. LOL...you probably asked what 100 other people are wondering.

I use them for....
- dried red pepper (crush them in a blender or food processor)
- mix crushed pepper with chicken feed to increase the birds' metabolism
- mix crushed pepper with wild bird seed to keep squirrels off the feeders
- use whole ones to make wreaths for holidays/winter or gifts

Latest posts