Maniac?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, since it is probably solar rather than lunar -- maybe there's a chance I'm not a lunatic :rolleyes:.

seasonal affective disorder
(won't list them all, some are more embarrassing than others)

winter:
# loss of energy
# social withdrawal
# weight gain

summer:
# insomnia
# agitation
# weight loss

steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
. . . . . . . .
snowyball2.gif
. . . . . . . .

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
haha! I think we're all feeling a little "luney" about now.

I can think of some valid explanations of those symptoms (didn't know you could get S.A.D in the summer!)

winter
loss of energy:
There's no urgency to be getting up at 4a.m. to take care of the garden chores before heading out to do the other-people -chores, so our bodies go in a somnambulant state, sort of a psuedo hibernation.

social withdrawal:
see above

weight gain:
see above

summer
insomnia: anxious to be getting up at 4 a.m. to do the garden chores before heading out to do the other-people-chores so our bodies go into a state of hyper-drive.

agitation:
see above

weight loss:*
see above

*um, this one seems to be diminishing in me as the years go by....

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
The new catch phrase I am hearing is: snow fatigue. Yep, I am pretty sure I have that one!!!!!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
What affects me is the dark. Come winter at 5:00pm, I don't want to leave the house. I just want to stay in my cozy cacoon. I have to really push myself to leave the house to go to the gym.

Mary

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've never seemed to have very good night vision. And, probably not genetically built to live where the nights are so long :/.

I do enjoy the Starry, Starry Nights, however :p!

You know, they say there are 2 kinds of olde people: those who drive after dark and those who don't . . .

When the winter sun does come out and the landscape is covered with snow - ouch! I guess I could just always drive away from the sun, but I'm already as far north as I can get :rolleyes: (without a passport). And driving in the dark on snow and ice - you gotta be kidding!

Only a tiny bit of snow is left in my yard now but the sky is typical late-winter gray . . . Reminds me of the Bay Area. Oh :D! I shouldn't have said that!

A somnambulant state? That would explain why I can't remember anything this time of year . . . During the summer, I just claim that it is because I've got so much going on ;).

steve and his digits

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
What!!!! You only have a tiny bit of snow in your yard and your complaining about SAD?? Come visit me- and we can cry together. We've got a couple feet on the ground, I just looked outside at a whiteout, and we've got 6 more inches coming!!
Starry Nights is one of my daughter's favorite paintings...
36 days until spring!

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I take a vitamin D supplement in Winter. It does help will the moodiness, but in general I STILL hate February. Working on my cold frames today to chase the winter blues away :D

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
lesa said:
What!!!! You only have a tiny bit of snow in your yard and your complaining about SAD?? Come visit me- and we can cry together. We've got a couple feet on the ground, I just looked outside at a whiteout, and we've got 6 more inches coming!!
Starry Nights is one of my daughter's favorite paintings...
36 days until spring!
Well Lesa , we got our share of the deep snow early in November... we westerners like to plan ahead! ;)

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yes I agree, Winter seems to just make you stay inside, with a cup of tea or coffee thinking about the gardening season ahead. Its almost like the cold chases you inside. But come Spring/Summer you feel more alive, at least I'am. I can't explain it, something about the daylight hours getting longer, with the birds singing early in the morning and knowing theirs lots of planting to do, that makes you feel so happy that Spring has finally arrived and the promises it has to offer :happy_flower .