mild salsa recipe anyone

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I cant do hot and spicy...old age tummy dont take to it well....so I need a salsa recipe that is mild... can I make any one & just leave out the hot pepper???

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
momofdrew said:
I cant do hot and spicy...old age tummy dont take to it well....so I need a salsa recipe that is mild... can I make any one & just leave out the hot pepper???
Sure you could. You still would have the fresh taste of tomaote, onion, cilantro... mmmm. :drool

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Momofdrew..I don't see why you can't substitute the jalapeno for another mild pepper. This way you would still get the pepper flavor. I roast my jalapenos or serrano along with the tomatoes on a comal which is a griddle type pan. I roast them till they're very dark. I place my garlic on the edges so they can also roast alittle. Then I put in blender with alittle salt to blend, pour it in my dish and add chopped cilantro. This is the way my grandmother who was from mexico did it.

Mary

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, Thistle..I roast them whole. I roast them till they're almost black on at least 4 sides. Sometimes they are too curved to roast completely around. I usually cut them in thirds before I put them in the blender. I do the same with the tomatoes. I also chop the garlic alittle. Because if I don't the blender leaves them too whole. This is what we call chili. We seldom call it salsa.

Mary

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I once grew a "heatless" jalapeno: Fooled You.

It seemed to be a real nice pepper. The pods had a real jalapeno flavor, just no heat.

The problem with me growing it was that I also had Jalapeno M in the garden. Once I got the plants out there, it was difficult for me to remember which was which. Then, I'd pick some and get them mixed up . . .

I mean, it makes very little sense to have to taste every, single pepper to find the ones that have no heat.

These days, I have a little Japanese sweet pepper: Fushimi Sweet. It is a fine little pepper but looks for all the world like it is blisteringly hot! But, it isn't. Pam, if you didn't want to use a bell or something, maybe one of these would be a good choice. The delightful flavor would be there.

Steve

monroele

Leafing Out
Reaction score
One of my favorite salsas is a fresh peach salsa

It asks for peaches, red onion, fresh cilantro, jalapeno pepper, rice vinegar,lemon juice and garlic. I love it with pork tenderloin. I guess you can leave out the jalapeno pepper or go for a real mild pepper.

Veggie PAK

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I've made a mild salsa using packaged spices from Mrs. Wages. It turned out great! I don't like things too hot, so this was just right. All my family enjoys it! The packages/envelopes are found by the canning supplies in the big box stores.

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
We made salsa Sunday following the recipe from the Ball canning book. I didn't have any hot peppers, so we just used additional green peppers. The first batch looked good, but a bit runny. On the second batch, I added 4oz of tomato paste. Seemed like cheating, but the consistancy was more like what we prefer and the color was deeper. We'll see in a few weeks!

hangin'witthepeeps

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've always roasted my pepper on the grill. I get them really black and then put them in a plastic bag. After they have sweated I just wipe the black skin off and de-seed all my jalapenos. I often use banana peppers to give the pepper flavor but no heat.

I place my roasted peppers, garlic, cilantro, onion, tomatoes (skins included), cumin, adobo, salt and a pinch of sugar in the blender and pulse it to the consistency I like. Tastes great with no heat.

I divide the sala into 2 bowls. I dice a fresh jalapeno and put in one, this is for my husband who likes his a little hot. If I feel adventuresome, I put one spoon of his salsa in my salsa and mix it up. A little goes a long way for me.

ETA: If you use bell peppers and roast them, it kind of makes the salsa a little runny. Bells have a lot of water. Found that out when I tried using bells to make chili rellenos, didn't work out well at all.

Latest posts