More Hard Decisions (Dog Gone It!)

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So we've been looking for a new property to move to. We've found it on the market and it's just about perfect, affordable to. The owner also breeds Tibetan Mastiffs, a dog that I've wanted badly for a long time. We have had some bad experiences with dogs in the past. My parents, who've gotten the worst out of those bad experiences, have allowed me to get one. Most of these bad experiences have come from how the dog was trained and our general family history with dogs. Chances are that I won't be able to afford one; but everything's possible, we've had some pretty out-of-the-ordinary things happen since we've started this whole farming business. We've seen everything from low-flying Apache (military) helicopters to feral dogs to a lone horse in the forest since we've been here.

Just in case I do get one of these dogs - are there any Mastiff (or just dog!) owners out there that can give me pointers? How did you train your dog to be nice to your smaller animals (chickens, ducks, geese)? How much do you usually pay for shots/vet visits and everything else per year for your dog? If you own or have owned a Mastiff, do they eat more than smaller dogs? We've owned a Great Pyrenees before and that breed seems to have a smaller appetite. I'm just trying to get some first hand information from you dog owners out there. This would be my first time owning a dog altogether. At the moment this whole dog decision is on a long, long list of things to be stressed about. Pointers or tips from any single person out there would be very much appreciated!!!

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've found if dog raised with them, no issues. Slight correction, here and there, stops any impulse to push limits. If you get an adult dog, same thing, just more patience.

We're fortunate, cheap vet, so about $100 for all shots. Keep him on heart worm Meds and in summer, flea Meds as he is allergic to fleas. Our 85# dog is allergic to everything.

We've switched him from foods that use protein by-products to first ingredients are meat, and have seen a huge difference in his allergies.

If you can't afford a pup, check out the local pounds, rescue agencies, etc.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Tibetan Mastiffs are not a beginner dog. They are a super large, and very powerful dog. With out the right training can be dangerous. If you want a giant breed there are much better choices.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
X2 What NYboy said. If you are new to dogs and want a large breed look into Golden Retrievers. They are great family dogs, and very trainable.

Jared has Goldens and is a great source for training info, you could PM him with questions.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
The larger the breed the more expensive the shots and meds are, they go by weight. Some breeds are just better with livestock. Great Pyrenees are considered LGDs (Livestock Guard Dogs.) Keep in mind any dog is going to need lots of attention. A bored dog is bound to make his/her own fun! My husband has a German Wachtelhund. (Hunting breed.) About 60 pounds. Wants to chase and catch (loosely translated to kill) everything. No way could he be trusted around ducks or chickens. Read all you can on the dog you think you would like. The breed info on DH's dog calls them cat killers. :( You are wise to do research before bringing a puppy home. Some day you will have a dog and I am certain be a great pet owner.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Another potential cost – Do you ever travel? Boarding at a kennel can be expensive. Paying someone to house sit or take care of your dog can be expensive if you travel much.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
I own 4 dogs and have groomed dogs for a very long time. I've seen a lot of families who own a lot of different dogs, and I can offer you a little bit of advice that may help you avoid some of the heartbreak I have seen.

Your biggest concern shouldn't be cost of the dog, or cost of the upkeep. Your biggest concern should be, "Will this dog fit with all of my family?"

You've mentioned training problems in the past --- is there someone in your family who is inept at handling dogs? If anyone in your family is not very good at dog handling, you should probably wait to get a Tibetan Mastiff until you are on your own. What exactly is your past family experience with dogs?

I would suggest, for your family's sake, starting with an easier animal. I realize a lab isn't as exciting as a Tibetan Mastiff, but if you are careful to train an "Easy" breed properly, you might open a world to your family that has previously not been available. I would also choose something with minimal grooming for your first dog (everyone always says they are going to brush when they get the puppy...) and possibly look for a dog that is bred to do well with smaller animals. (A dog known for being a livestock guardian dog perhaps, who will actually protect your chickens. :) )

I only bring this up because a family who is a client of the shop I work at purchased a leonberger, and sadly the dog got steadily out of control despite their best efforts with trainers and dumping tons of money into the dog. The dog eventually became so dangerous we had to turn her away for grooming service.

As for actual $$...I own chihuahuas. They cost practically nothing. :) I feed them the very best food which cuts dramatically down on vet bills, they eat about 2 ounces each every day so...not exactly in pain from the food bill. I give them all vaccinations but rabies myself. I do their grooming myself.

Gotta love small dogs :D

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Go to BYH, sister site to TEG. There is a livestock guard dog forum that is packed full of information. I have to agree with Nyboy and Thistlebloom, look for a less demanding beginner dog. With a dog like that, you have to be the alpha dog or the dog will not respect or mind you. Maybe you could help the owner with dog chores and learn from his experiences. A lot of people like to share what they know to a willing student.

http://www.backyardherds.com/forums/livestock-guardians.75/

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Another consideration Seedo, or maybe I'm just being redundant, but "guardian" type dogs are extremely independent and can be considered stubborn because they think for themselves. Those traits are good for a dog that has to be on it's own protecting a herd or flock, but it also makes them difficult for a new dog owner to understand and train.

Just like in gardening, start with something known to be easy and go from there as you gain experience.

Latest posts