Morning glories

TReeves

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I started some Morning Glories inside in some large pots. They have sprouted(they have nice sized leaves) and I've moved them outside(it's been in the 70s) they aren't doing well. But, when I bring them in they perk back up. Anybody have any idea what could be happening. Maybe it's user error....

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Maybe just having a time hardening them off. They're tender from being started inside and it is a gradual process to get them used to being out in the sun and wind. I start mine out in a shady, protected spot and bring them back in if the nights are going to be too cold, then move them into partial sun after a while.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i'd say they need the gradual hardening off time too. the uv light can be intense on plants started indoors and can burn them unless you gradually expose them over a few days to more and more natural light.

TReeves

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Should I try bringing them in at night? Then putting them out everyday? I've, never grown flowers that I started inside. I'm kinda clueless.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I started some Morning Glories inside in some large pots. They have sprouted(they have nice sized leaves) and I've moved them outside(it's been in the 70s) they aren't doing well. But, when I bring them in they perk back up. Anybody have any idea what could be happening. Maybe it's user error....
Put them out in an area where they get indirect sun so they don't burn. Increase the time outside every day. When you plant them put a little straw or hay over them for a bit to give them a little bit of shade.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just noticed that you put them in large pots. Are you going to grow them in pots or transplant them. Transplanting may be difficult as the roots should not be disturbed. Next year put them in peat pots so there is no disruption when planting them out.

TReeves

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I won't transplant them. I dint think they'd grow in our dirt since its mostly sand. They will stay in the pots. I am hoping they will run up the columns of the back patio.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
When I was a kid I grew them at my parents house. They grew up to the third floor. I grow them on a fence now. Very rewarding. You will have to keep them well watered and fertilized in the pots. Yo can also try to dig out a giant hole and refill it with soil and compost to improve the garden soil.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
When hardening them off, pay attention to wind as well as sun. Wind can dry them out. Also make sure the soil they are in stays damp, not wet and not dry.

When I harden off plants I have a spot on the north side of a workshop that gets some morning sun but is in the shade most of the day and protects them from our normal south wind. I gradually move them away from the wall to increase their exposure.

TReeves

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
They're getting plenty of water right now! It's actually raining here! I've been moving them around the yard based on where the sun is.They look a lot better and don't seem to be dying anymore.