Morning Glory Comparison

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Today the Morning Glories were so pretty!

8292012MorningGloyComparisonemail.jpg

I have a few different kinds and colors, I am waiting for the bright pink ones to bloom.
They are daughter seeds from a neigbor who got them while a young bride in Greece
during WWII. They make me happy to see them come back each year.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I always grew a wall of morning glories along my chicken coop fence. I don't know why I got out of the habit. Your photos are inspiring me for next year. Beautiful!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
What a nice collection you have. I love them all, but that large pink on in the upper left corner is my favorite. I like the idea of those special daughter seeds. How lovely to have something with such a story behind it.

I planted Heavenly Blue morning glories along with some crimson reds early in May, hoping to have some patriotic color on my fenceline for July. The reds just now started blooming and they're really more of a magenta than a red. The blues are just vine, no flower. I'm bummed!

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
journey11 said:
What a nice collection you have. I love them all, but that large pink on in the upper left corner is my favorite. I like the idea of those special daughter seeds. How lovely to have something with such a story behind it.

I planted Heavenly Blue morning glories along with some crimson reds early in May, hoping to have some patriotic color on my fenceline for July. The reds just now started blooming and they're really more of a magenta than a red. The blues are just vine, no flower. I'm bummed!
The Pale Lavender one is a European Morning Glory. It is a bush/shrub/tree rather than a vine. Depending on the soil, they grow quite tall! Mine is over 6ft now. Here is a link to them. The link has 57 photos of the different colors of them.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/52996/

Here in Tucson, the Morning Glories don't usually bloom until the Fall.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Those are beautiful! They are one of those favorites that I always have growing.

seedcrazy

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I tried growing the morning glory bush this year from seed (cute furry little seeds) but never could get any of them to germinate. Not sure what I did wrong.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
seedcrazy said:
I tried growing the morning glory bush this year from seed (cute furry little seeds) but never could get any of them to germinate. Not sure what I did wrong.
If they were furry, maybe they had an extra shell on them. Perhaps soaking them for a day or two before planting, or scarifying (scratch up the outside of the seed) would speed germination. You could try germinating some in a paper towel, so you can keep an eye on them.

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
seedcrazy said:
They are pretty slow to germinate.

AdamBorzy

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I love the way they bloom in the early mornings
and when the sun warms them up they just simply closes. :cool:

Latest posts