Most unique harvest pending!

freshfood

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Ok, folks, I know lots of us grow pretty unusual things in our gardens, but...

this morning I went out to do some watering. Over on the far side of the garden was a large lump. I planted within ten feet of that spot over the weekend, and I know darned well that there was no lump there then. Get closer, and danged if it isn't a turtle, butt hanging in the hole she's dug to lay her eggs!! I took a couple pictures, not too close or too many as I didn't want to disturb her, but I had to get a few!

Well, I thought radishes were about the only 21 day crop I could harvest, but I guess I was wrong!! I'll mark the nest and watch for the baby turtles to sprout!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
How cool is that! Isn't nature the coolest thing?? I had a really big snapper in my garden one year-but it was just passing through...

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh it is so awesome to watch them hatch and march off when they do. The ones we found here hatched and starting digging their way out around sun set... I never saw any during the day. ;)

Can't wait to see pictures. Love watching nature. :D

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We have a cute little gal ... Snappy Sara ... :lol: ... that comes to lay eggs in the veggie garden almost every year.
Sometimes she digs ten holes or so, to find just the right spot :rolleyes:
I have to watch for boulders that move this time of year... have not seen her yet.
I have run across the hatched eggs the next year when I'm planting. It was exciting to find a baby one year... have to find that pic.

Here's Sara. Her shell is about 14" long.
She likes to hang out on the road in Spring.
Neighbors and I shoo her back into the ditch to keep her from being hit.

I have one of her laying eggs too ... after digging up a row of corn ...:D More exciting than rabbits tho ... :lol:

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is neat. We had a big snapping turtle that would come up from the creek and lay her eggs in nearly the same spot every year when we were kids. It was really something to see them hatch. We'd play with them for a bit then turn them loose to do their thing.

Latest posts