My bees have been poisioned

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
There is a form of BT that kills the mosquito larva. I got mine for the rain barrels at Tractor Supply. They are called dunks.

It would be nice if they are using something that specific to stop the mosquitoes that does not harm beneficials.

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
schmije - I have no idea why they would spray if it didn't do any good.

Carol - Right about spraying when the bees are less active - the parish usually sprays late in the evening. I read an article today that they can give you warning before they spray and you can cover your hives.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Southern Gardener said:
Good news! Glen with the LSU Ag center called me back and he said that this would not kill my bees! He said there is little residual effect since they don't really spray that much, and the poision that they use wouldn't kill them. He also said that the spray doesn't really kill the mosquitoes either! I'm going to keep a close eye on the hives and see if there are any changes.
That really is good news, Joan :cool:!

I didn't know what to say - you were so looking forward to having those bees and their honey.

Steve

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow, it is kind of terrifying that poison is being sprayed- and it may not even kill the intended insect... What a world we live in. Hopefully, this hasn't affected your bees. Did they seem to be acting normally?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
If the spray does not kill the adult mosquito, maybe it targets the larva.

Why do so many people look for the bad and don't even think about the good?

Wouldn't it be great if they specifically targetted the mosquito larve and did not affect any beneficials. You'd think that is what this forum would want. I guess not.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well that is good news I suppose... but now I'm confused on the point of the spraying. :/

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
lesa, my bees seem to be acting normal, thank goodness.

He explained that the trucks that spray the poision does not cover a very wide area (like crop dusting would) so the poision is not wide spread, but I would think it would kill some anyway. He also said that they don't use malathion anymore which does kill honey bees. anyway, I'm going to do a little more investigating.

We have been getting rain the last couple of weeks, which is unusual compaired to the last two summers, so the parish is spraying.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Southern, I'm assuming that if the parish notifies you that they are going to be spraying that you would be at work. Is there a neighbor home they could also notify so that they can cover your hives for you?

Mary

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Glad to hear they are ok. I think the intention is to break the life cycle and kill the larva/eggs not the adults. See if the parish will give you the name of the company so you can find out exactly what they are using so you can better prepare your hives.

Latest posts