My FAVORITE paring knife is broken...

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
You know how you feel when a favorite thing gets broken :hit . Yesterday hubby decided to help me out on the sly by grating the cheese for my macaroni casserole. He used my favorite paring knife to cut through a HARD block of cheese.

Broken knife in hand he came to where I was and said, guess what happened, it broke.

...Silence... after I had my thoughts organized I said I don't think it can be replaced I've had it a long time. I had bought two at the time putting the second away as a backup but when I went to get it, guess what, it had gone missing, I wonder how that happened?
Now this was not an expensive item ($8.00 if I remember correctly) but it fitted my hand perfectly, the handle wasn't wood so didn't have to be too careful with it.
The store where I bought it is still here so went to their website.No such luck.
Thinking cap on I googled 3" paring knife images and FOUND it :celebrate. It's a couple of dollars more but :celebratestill available. Bought from a Canadian Company but shipped from Arizona. Hubby ordered two, thought he'd better get a backup. All told shipping and all it comes to $36, well worth it to me. I just love this little paring knife , I think it's made in Switzerland.

My tape measure is hidden along with my set of screw drivers, they don't go missing anymore, I'm thinking the spare paring knife will be too. Getting a lock box has passed my mind more than once, still.... would trade my hubby for anything.

Annette

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Getting a lock box has passed my mind more than once, still.... would trade my hubby for anything.

Annette
:epHopefully a typo?

@aftermidnight I feel your pain. I've got a really big chef's knife that we found in a garage sale about 30 years ago; 10" blade, and wide enough to use as a spatula... its my "go to" knife for chopping. Stays sharp, and is strong enough to easily cut through even the hardest winter squash. DW found something harder though, when she tried cutting through a venison bone - and dented it, to the point where it cracked. :ep I've looked in every kitchen store in the local area, can't find anything close; so I just pounded the dent down on an anvil, and ground it sharp. It may not be exhibition quality, but it still gets the job done. When you use something that "fits" for a long time, nothing else will do.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good for you, Annette. Glad you found it. And I agree, something like that is worth going after. It is good to have tools you are comfortable with.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
My favorite hog skinning knife is an Old Hickory paring knife. I have several other Old Hickory knives that both of us love.

I am glad that you found a replacement for your favorite knife!

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score

@aftermidnight I feel your pain. I've got a really big chef's knife that we found in a garage sale about 30 years ago; 10" blade, and wide enough to use as a spatula... its my "go to" knife for chopping. Stays sharp, and is strong enough to easily cut through even the hardest winter squash. DW found something harder though, when she tried cutting through a venison bone - and dented it, to the point where it cracked. :ep I've looked in every kitchen store in the local area, can't find anything close; so I just pounded the dent down on an anvil, and ground it sharp. It may not be exhibition quality, but it still gets the job done. When you use something that "fits" for a long time, nothing else will do.

:lol:, you would have to pick up on that, sometimes I don't hit the keys hard enough, you don't know how many words I have to correct after I've typed them, at least I didn't ask you to bare with me ;).

Annette

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score

Keep checking ebay sooner or later its twin will show up

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
You know how you feel when a favorite thing gets broken :hit . Yesterday hubby decided to help me out on the sly by grating the cheese for my macaroni casserole. He used my favorite paring knife to cut through a HARD block of cheese.

Broken knife in hand he came to where I was and said, guess what happened, it broke.

...Silence... after I had my thoughts organized I said I don't think it can be replaced I've had it a long time. I had bought two at the time putting the second away as a backup but when I went to get it, guess what, it had gone missing, I wonder how that happened?
Now this was not an expensive item ($8.00 if I remember correctly) but it fitted my hand perfectly, the handle wasn't wood so didn't have to be too careful with it.
The store where I bought it is still here so went to their website.No such luck.
Thinking cap on I googled 3" paring knife images and FOUND it :celebrate. It's a couple of dollars more but :celebratestill available. Bought from a Canadian Company but shipped from Arizona. Hubby ordered two, thought he'd better get a backup. All told shipping and all it comes to $36, well worth it to me. I just love this little paring knife , I think it's made in Switzerland.

My tape measure is hidden along with my set of screw drivers, they don't go missing anymore, I'm thinking the spare paring knife will be too. Getting a lock box has passed my mind more than once, still.... would trade my hubby for anything.

Annette
I sympathize. Once you have used the same knife for a thousand or so times finding a good one is very difficult.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am not big on gimmicky kitchen tools ...except for this one. I like when tomatoes are chopped into little squares at Mexican restaurants. I am sure they have a specialized to for doing this. I found this little tool and like it a lot. It does not do a great job making those neat little squares but I was using it on fresh garden tomatoes. The big squares did a pretty good job making the tomato garnishes. But when I just want to cut a few vegetables I like this little thing.

https://www.amazon.com/Vidalia-Chop...ocphy=9002155&hvtargid=pla-309380557191&psc=1