My First Garden! (pics!!)

rodriguezpoultry

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Yep! Really is my first garden! The previous owner dumped horse and cow manure into it for years intending to plant a garden. He never did. So...I get to plant in virgin soil! This winter once everything is done, I'll be putting chicken poo and shavings onto it and till it into the soil to get it nice and aged for the next season! :D at least, that's the plan. I hope the bear doesn't decide to wake up and eat chicken poo... (hence the no-compost thing.)

Veggie PAK

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Very nice looking garden! I think I would run some string for the peas up and down on the twine you have up already. I don't plant many peas, but that would give them something to get from one level to the next. Other readers, is that correct for peas? You know, like for pole beans.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is one happy, healthy looking garden you have there! :thumbsup The soil looks wonderful and the plants prove it.

I like to pinch the suckers out of my tomato plants to train them to a single vine. It's optional though and some folks don't do it. I just think it makes them more managable. :)

You must have really studied up for your first garden. It looks great. Only thing I would consider is the orientation of the garden bed and the location of the plants in it. I can't make out which way the shadows are cast from the photo. Corn gets really tall. Usually you want it in the northern most sector of the garden where it won't shade the other things. Tomatoes, beans, peppers, squash, etc. will want full sun. The lettuce and peas however would benefit from the shade taller plants cast, to keep them happy in the hottest part of summer. Sometimes you can prevent lettuce from bolting by giving it some shade. It may be that your garden bed is narrow enough and turned just so you won't have any problem with that.

You've definitely got a greenthumb now. :cool:

trunkman

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Lesa is right, get that mint contained!! Your garden looks great! I've been gardening for years and mine doesn't look that good, good job!! :)

gardentoad

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Wow, we are not that far apart and my soil looks nothing like that, so nice..... :bow you did a great job

Don :watering

rodriguezpoultry

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
gardentoad, I moved up to PA. It's mostly shale up here, but the previous owner put manure after manure into this garden on a yearly basis. It's very loose and very rich.

I've pulled up everything but my turnips now. The tomatoes were starting to rot on the vines from the wet weather. Made a last batch of fried green tomatoes. After pulling everything up, I weeded and then put shavings/chicken manure on the top. There wasn't enough to completely cover it so will take several more times of going over it.

I "think" I got all of the mint out. I was VERY careful pulling up the roots. That was RIDICULOUS. I got all of the main root system and runners. There are "small" roots I'm sure that are still out there. When I say small, I mean hairline. Will it still grow back after that?!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'd bet on it!! But, it sounds like you got the majority of them- if you do battle early in the spring, you can get the ones you missed!

Latest posts