My gardening journal, day 1

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
DH loves me really a whole lot. :)

Yesterday I mentioned there was a farmer's market going on nearby and I really wanted to go. He took me there even though he didn't really want to go. The market was very small, only 8 or so stalls, but we found some nifty things there. We bought a hot sauce made without vinegar or sugar. I bought it for DH because he wanted it, and I got a pound of fresh cherries.

Made it into a cherry crisp, and went whistling off to prepare dinner. Husband taste-tested it, and found it so fantastic, he ate the whole thing. -.-

Since he very seldom raves to the degree he did about my cooking, I guess that means we can go get cherries from the farmer's market for the rest of the year. ;-)

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
The corn is doing outstanding, it is still two weeks from fourth of july and already they are knee high! I've been watering them with fish fertilizer when I remember. I think that helps.

My green beans (including the Thai Long Beans @baymule sent me) sprouted within 2 days and are already 3 inches high. My spinach is done, I am going to pull it up and give it to the chickens.

I planted the last of the things I wanted to plant today, 3 zuchini plants and 3 pumpkin plants. I can be satisfied with whatever I get out of it. So happy.

Mr. Helpful did not help me this time, because my neighbor's granddaughter was over, and...they are overnight best friends! They played all day long together, very nicely. Grandma was relieved because granddaughter tends to pester. I am shocked at how easy it is to watch a kid who has another to play with. We both agreed to do this as often as possible!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, far less tugging on your apron strings when they have a buddy to keep them occupied. I'm sure you'll both get lots done! :)

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
My broccoli is actually producing real broccoli!! Last year I got precisely one floret, this year...!

Attachments

• WP_20150624_09_02_42_Pro.jpg
    WP_20150624_09_02_42_Pro.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 260

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
The broccoli has been harvested, and the plants given to the chickens. Boy oh boy did they thank me for the gift! The plant had to be at least 2 pounds, and within minutes all that was left was the root, and it was hollowed out!

My broccoli was huge, the head firmly packed, and the flavor incredible. My son liked it also, incidentally. I will plant double next year. My husband was more damaging to the broccoli than my son was. I have a tiny bag left from 4 heads harvested. Glad they are eating veggies!

The tomatoes are flowering, and looks like it is going to be a big crop from them. My rainbow carrots are ready to go whenever I feel like picking them, potatoes are growing like weeds, and I really need to find someone who likes kale...4 plants is way too much!

The corn is already waist high, and some of it is even tassling. The beans are 6 inches high and starting to cling to my tomato baskets. What a wonderful growing season!

Husband also bought me a new drip system to water with. Thus far, the plants love it!
WP_20150630_19_33_47_Pro.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good looking broccoli ... :)

Your part of the world should always be able to grow broccoli if it's doing well this year. You may have an ideal location for broccoli. No one would fault you if that was ALL you grew. . . well, I wouldn't, anyway ;).

My broccoli amounted to very little. There was some to pick yesterday but that will be about the extent of it during this hot summer!

Down a ways, it looks like the beans will be okay. Corn looks good. I've had a ripe tomato for the first time ever! The challenging weather may have been too much for my broccoli but I may have another good melon year :).

Steve

Latest posts