Need a way to create tilth

flyboy718

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I built some 4' X 4' raised beds, went to my local garden center and got a really good soil mix with: gin trash, top soil, sand, humus and composted manure. We have received a TON of rain so far this year and the soil I got was very clumpy. Anybody have any good ideas of how to get some fine layer of tilth going on for some seeds to feel comfortable in? My hands sure are tired from crumbling clods small and large. Only other thing I can do is, let them sprout inside and transplant them imediately outdoors...

Edit: Maybe tilth is not the right word...how about texture...a more fine texture on the top layer.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
One of those little Mantis type tillers would probably do it for you. Maybe you could rent one?
Otherwise, your idea of starting indoors would work too, but I wouldn't put them out immediately. I would think you'd want to let them develop some roots and good top growth first.

What's "gin trash"?

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I hate to say it but if that soil is really wet the last thing you want to do is spade or till the soil.
Buy spading or tilling the soil when it is wet you will only make matters worse for you in the long run and you will have soil the is very hard and full of clods when it does dry out.
The best thing you can do is cover the bed with some Black plastic and hope for some sun.

Chris

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
chris09 said:
I hate to say it but if that soil is really wet the last thing you want to do is spade or till the soil.
Buy spading or tilling the soil when it is wet you will only make matters worse for you in the long run and you will have soil the is very hard and full of clods when it does dry out.
The best thing you can do is cover the bed with some Black plastic and hope for some sun.

Chris
agree working wet soil is an instant recipe for failure.

From the mix you have, don't understand the clods as clods are usually a sign of clay.

flyboy718

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
No, soil is no longer wet...it's just dried clods. I am looking for ways that I can get it done with my own elbow grease. Gin trash is the by product of ginning cotton, basically the process of removing the seed and all of the dead leaves that cotton contains when it comes out of the field. The cotton gin processes it and blows out all of the trash into huge piles. It's not really 'trash' it's actually black gold! It'll sit there all year and then people will gladly come by and load the now black gold up in their trucks to use in their gardens. Of course this happens only in the south.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't want to push a Walmart item that I have not even seen but it looks a lot like what I've got in the garage:

0004638540204_500X500.jpg

One of these could be a hand tool alternative to a small tiller. You can even turn it over and pound on clods but it would be best now to wait until the soil is more workable, as per advice above.

I also use a smaller 4-prong cultivator and just a garden rake. Going over the ground to "pulverize" it is a little work but not a lot. Chop, Chop, Chop, Chop, Chop, Chop, Chop, Chop, Chop, Chop, Chop, Chop, Depth is limited.

Steve

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
If it were fall, I'd suggest you plant a annual rye grass. It sends down a fine, deep, root system that helps break up soil compaction. Your could use some worms as well to help digest the fiber and manure.

Clods suggest clay content as organic matter, sand, and humus won't clod. They break down in your hands. Now clay, especially the yellow kind up here is only good for making pottery......

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
flyboy718 said:
I built some 4' X 4' raised beds, went to my local garden center and got a really good soil mix with: gin trash, top soil, sand, humus and composted manure. We have received a TON of rain so far this year and the soil I got was very clumpy. Anybody have any good ideas of how to get some fine layer of tilth going on for some seeds to feel comfortable in? My hands sure are tired from crumbling clods small and large. Only other thing I can do is, let them sprout inside and transplant them imediately outdoors...

Edit: Maybe tilth is not the right word...how about texture...a more fine texture on the top layer.
I don't know what gin trash is. What material is clumping? Compost is usually the key. Maybe in needs more time to break down. What about using a small tiller, or screening (yuck). You could dig holes for the plants and just sift the soil into the holes or add compost to the holes. Did you dig when it was too wet?

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
chris09 said:
You could also try the old reliable Spading Fork

http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/uploads/7054_72105_l_01.jpg

Chris
HA... that's one I have and suggest :) Really... I got the same one and I still haven't taken the price sticker off of it. Got it 3 weeks ago and have used it more then a shovel lately. Great thing to have.... "Where have you been all my life!?!?!"

:p