Need Advice on growing Lavender

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I had great luck starting Munstead seed in the refrigerator.
I sewed them in moist soil-less seed starter and placed the seed tray in a plastic bag, bottom shelf in the fridge. Instructions I read said to chill for 6 weeks, then move to 60-65 degrees, may take 1 to 3 months to germinate. When I checked them at about 5 weeks they had germinated and were growing in the fridge! I checked the temp, it was 39! :idunno

Lavandula 'Lady' germinated in 5 days at room temp, around 70 degrees. Very easy, one you could grow as an annual if winter poses a problem.

I started them mid January, grew them under lights, and had nice sized plants to set out in May.

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The other plus to planting near a foundation is the soil will be sweeter there - the lime leaches out of the concrete (provided you have a concrete foundation).

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
possumqueen said:
I haven't had much luck with lavendar, either. I live in North Carolina. I'm FROM Seattle, and my family is still there. Everybody and his brother has lavendar growing all over everywhere. You wade through it walking down the streets.

What have they got that I haven't got?

I DO have heavy red high acid clay. We're famous for our azaleas here. I've improved a lot of my yard with compost. Do I need to lime for lavendar?

And what does "sharp drainage" mean?

thanks!!
I know huh? I literally have it growing out of the stones in my wall from sticking a piece in as I go ..it grows in heavy loamy soil and even in the muddy areas of my yard .as well as the gravel around my French drains ..

I never lime lavender we have acidic soil here ..I do actually nothing but stick it in the ground and ignore it

I wonder if it is the climate more than the soil maybe?

although I have never tried to grow it anywhere but here so I am not worldly in this or anything ..I just know I stick a branch in and it grows here! sage also is supposed to like good drainage and I have it in boggy areas here ..as well as rocky ..it makes no sense to me at all!

I say compost well and protect it from the cold also maybe in a pot would be great they grow well in pots then you can move it to protect it during the cold

homestead holdout

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
ohhh lavender is "my thing" I LOVE it!! I've had a very hard time (but not impossible) growing it in Florida, as you said, NOT a problem in Seattle... But no matter where I go, I give it way more sand and gravel to ensure good drainage. In E Oregon my Dad grows it out of clay soil only by adding TONS of perilite, horse dookie and sand. It will literally grow right out of a gravel pile so long as it also has some organic matter.... To keep those feet dry! These are actually my baby munsteads! It was spring... "the mother of all munsteads" is in the back, cant see her... This is our North sun.... you can tell it almost looks native to WA in this pic with ferns and rodies....

6498_img_4131.jpg

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
HiDelight said:
possumqueen said:
I haven't had much luck with lavendar, either. I live in North Carolina. I'm FROM Seattle, and my family is still there. Everybody and his brother has lavendar growing all over everywhere. You wade through it walking down the streets.

What have they got that I haven't got?

I DO have heavy red high acid clay. We're famous for our azaleas here. I've improved a lot of my yard with compost. Do I need to lime for lavendar?

And what does "sharp drainage" mean?

thanks!!
I know huh? I literally have it growing out of the stones in my wall from sticking a piece in as I go ..it grows in heavy loamy soil and even in the muddy areas of my yard .as well as the gravel around my French drains ..

I never lime lavender we have acidic soil here ..I do actually nothing but stick it in the ground and ignore it

I wonder if it is the climate more than the soil maybe?

although I have never tried to grow it anywhere but here so I am not worldly in this or anything ..I just know I stick a branch in and it grows here! sage also is supposed to like good drainage and I have it in boggy areas here ..as well as rocky ..it makes no sense to me at all!

I say compost well and protect it from the cold also maybe in a pot would be great they grow well in pots then you can move it to protect it during the cold
Your soil has better drainage than you know, if this is the case. Really, if I grew it in a bog it would die in no time. You've got a good climate there for growing, for sure, but I wouldn't suggest anyone else try growing it in wet, heavy soil.

ninny

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
So the basics are: good drainage, protect from cold,grow hardy types? Im wanting to try some.

cwhit590

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Wow Reinbeau, great info!

I've had similar problems with lavender here in MI...I tried planting it at home and it did not winter over where I put it.

At a greenhouse where I worked we had some excellent specimens in the display gardens...thriving with no care in hot sun and sandy sandy soil! They haven't been trimmed back and are now quite woody...little lavender shrubs! :D

Latest posts