Need cover crop recommendations

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I would like to plant something in the space where my sweet corn has just finished. I know it's a heavy feeder, so I'd like to replenish the soil for the spring. I'm thinking a legume, and I'd like something that won't be a pain in the spring. I've done winter peas before with rye grass, but the rye grass was really annoying when I had to keep pulling it up. Can I just do the winter peas on their own?

Neko-Chan

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
You can grow things like clover and rye grass, but instead of pulling it up, I think you're supposed to till it under, then mulch. It returns the nitrogen and stuff back into the soil. Raising a crop of snow peas or something will probably help as well.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
curly_kate said:
. . . Can I just do the winter peas on their own?
I have done that. The winter peas had a winter survival rate of about 10%, I figured. Certainly, not more than that. They must really not be suitable for sub-zero temperatures.

Oats will also grow and then be killed by winter cold.

You may have an easier time with winter rye if you plant it really early. I decided that July was best. It grew waist-high by spring!

I pulled it, dug out the bed and buried it under 8" to 10" of soil. (Okay, I don't know if that would be "easier" but I got it out of the way, all at once ;).

Steve

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I really enjoyed using winter wheat. First thing in the spring it was bright green- a sight for sore eyes! We tilled it in. I have red clover that I hope to try this year.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I run my red clover through a rabbit first. Great little instant composters. ;)

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am (finally) going to try hairy vetch this year to grow over the winter/early spring and then either till in or just flatten and plant into it. -Wendy

Latest posts