Need help with Hollyhocks

pixiedouglas

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I think I must be getting duds for seeds. On our third attempt DH put them in the grow pots, covered for moisture, still got nada. I posted on the botanical interests facebook page to ask for help and the advice was to do the grow pots and keep them covered for moisture... lol

So where do you guys get your hollyhock seeds!?

CarolAnn

Sprout
Reaction score
Hi! I'm a newby here. I live in Kansas, USA. I am going to plant hollyhocks this year. Guess I'll try some in the ground first and see what comes up. Since the seem to take a good hold and are prolific I want to plant them by my old barn.

Journey, your pics are beautiful!

desertwillow

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Could you be planting them too deep? Also, they might not come up until next year. I plant morning glories and they never come up the year I plant them. They come up the next year. You might also try soaking them in water or buttermilk for a while before planting. Other than that I can't think of anymore suggestions you might try.

pixiedouglas

Leafing Out
Reaction score
The first round we might have, but on the second two we were planting right on the surface. It would be pretty neat if they came up next year, but I won't get my hopes up too much.

I was sure all my nastursiums failed too, but now I have four plants going. It's been a very weird year for weather here in CA and everything is out of whack. Think I'll blame that. :)

desertwillow

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
You're right about CA having weird weather. I'm in the high desert and we got 4 inches of snow and we've had more wind than the law alows and I hate the wind. It stayed cooler than normal for spring but the past two days it's been in the 90's. Lot's of luck with your hollyhocks. I had trouble with zinnias and mexican sunflowers. They didn't come up at all.

pixiedouglas

Leafing Out
Reaction score
The heat finally rolled in here the today and yesterday. A week ago it was cold, windy, and overcast... now today it's going to be clear skies and 97!

That can't be a good transition for the plants. :(

It's really terrible not having a good spring season! I feel jipped!

Latest posts