Need ideas: Bean & squash varieties

Crunchie

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the suggestions thus far,everyone! :D

Yeah, I don't mind much if a variety is not a good fresh/snap bean. Quality as a dried/soup bean is priority. And yes Steve, our climates are very different...:lol: I had great luck last year with long season-loving black eyed peas (I got a couple of pounds of dried beans from a 2' X 2' square planting of vines that I basically ignored). Long and hot, we've got that covered.

I will look into all of the varieties suggested. Texan (or anyone, for that matter), can you tell me more about the scallop type squash? I've never used them. What do they taste like (like your typical butternut or acorn, etc.)? How well do they keep? I like that they are small in size, seeing as I'm the only one in the house who cares for winter squash. A bush variety winter squash sounds great!

BTW, Steve, I've had the opportunity to try a lot of Seeds of Change seeds over the years (I work in the natural foods industry, I've gotten quite a bit of sample from trade shows and older seed from off of retail store shelves). I've always had good luck with them.

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I love scallop squash and I love the flowers even more! They taste like zuccini. I have a ton of squash seeds if your interested most from Bakers creek. But I have problems with the vine borer so I have been unsuccessful here in LA.

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have grown "Buttercup" winter squash the last two years, and have found it to be a good keeper, and very delicious. They look similar to an acorn squash, but tend to be more round.

Spaghetti squash is a wonderful keeper, and it's flesh offers a variety from the regular winter squash.

I grow butternut, and Hubbard as well, both good keepers. My Hubbards grow so large I could feed the whole neighborhood. I know once I cut one up, I'll be eating it for several days..:/

Crunchie

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks, obsessed! I actually have quite a bit of seed (and my boss has quite a seed stash and always passes a long a ton of seed before spring), so I should take inventory of what I've got first before I go getting more... :lol: But I will keep that in mind.

Thanks for the suggestions, bills. The storage quality of Hubbards is appealing to me, but not the size... :lol: Unless...can you make pies from Hubbards? :/

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
You bet, you can make pies with Hubbards, Crunchie. A hubbard is a Cucurbita maxima, those are the best squash for pies in many a cook's opinion :p. Buttercup squash is also a Cucurbita maxima.

Pumpkins are actually fairly closely related to zucchini and other summer squash. If you think about it . . . you can imagine that actual pumpkin pie wouldn't be as good as some made with those nice, dry, sweet winter squashes.

The Blue Banana that I mentioned is also a C. maxima but it's a big guy. Hubbards come in smaller sizes. The Japanese kabochas are also relatives and they are smaller. I'm trying Cha Cha Kabocha in my garden this year :)!

Steve

Latest posts