New greenhouse, pics!

jellybean

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I built this almost all by myself. First greenhouse so I'm still figuring out how to do it, what to plant inside and outside. I'm thinking I may need a shade cloth in summer, and will eventually have screen doors on both ends for ventilation. It will be added to my automatic water system also. I bought two vent hinges that open automatically when hot and close when cool. Should I put vents in at the top of the ends? I'm not sure where they'll work the best. I built raised beds because we have terrible river rock ground and lots of weeds, I also have ducks and geese. I live in southern idaho, around 5600 ft, house is 12' by 22'. I am building more for outside growing. We have a sawmill so using scrap wood for beds to save money.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 279
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 264

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
You have done a great job building your greenhouse, Jellybean. There is a (hoop) greenhouse around here that already has shade coverings, so I'm suspecting you will need some as well.

A vent at both top ends will move the hottest air, but I always thought a low vent at one end and a high vent at the other moved more air and kept the greenhouse cooler overall. I know I can kill bunnies with only one top vent fully opened in a 6 X 8 greenhouse (It was an accident, folks! Don't hold it against me.) without a shade cloth.

jellybean

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I am trying to decide it two top end vents for hot air, or one top one lower. We get tons of wind spring and fall, some in summer but not much. So not much airflow in hot months. May consider a fan if necessary. All an experiment right nownow

jellybean

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
They're between 28" and 32". Just whatever scraps I had so they're not perfect. My geese are tall and destroy things and my back is not great. So tall will be nice. I'll add more pics when I get the rest done. It's 64 today and cloudy and 80 in the greenhouse so definitely gonna have to do something in summer. Too much work to take plastic off and on.

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Very nice!! As an alternative to taking the plastic all the way off, maybe you could roll it up the sides for more air flow during the day? I staple my plastic to thin strips of wood, then roll them up and bungee cord it up. Easy and quick to put down at night.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I like it jellybean! Those raised beds are going to be real handy for growing. I hope you continue to update this thread as you go through the season, it will be interesting to see how it works out for you.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Vents low on one wall and high on the other are likely to move more air.

However, at this time of year, the outside air may still be in the 40's while the temperature in my greenhouse may be climbing into the 80's. I have to ask myself how much of that cold air do I want blowing on the plants? Answer: very, very little! High vents in both end walls may solve the problem. An exhaust fan in one may be very helpful, also.

Great JOB on that greenhouse!

Steve

jellybean

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Built some 5 x8 beds outside and have some of them seeded. Most of our rain has passed and the soil is drying out quickly. I don't have irrigation set up yet and need to mulch I think to save moisture. I will probably use straw, but also have spruce chips I think I'll use for trees. Still waiting to plant warm weather plants. Also ordered shade cloth it's getting too hot in there already even with both doors open.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 241

Latest posts