No Bees

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Bluejay77, the bean that the BJs like so well is Feijao Catarino. It is a vigorous climber, but not so quick in flowering. The BJs haven't really hurt it, as the foliage is pretty lush. The Zambezi #1 is a bit shorter, earlier flowering and not so attractive to JBs.

Jeni Ann

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have Bees! 2 hives! Sadly I lost my 1st during that hideous horrible nasty insanely awful winter we had. The bees are just going gang busters right now. I live amongst the corn fields, but they are bringing in loads of pollen and nectar: they are making honey like little Bosses! Those tiny wings can take them places. I also have a fantastic meadow full of "weeds" for the bees and butterflies

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have Bees! 2 hives! Sadly I lost my 1st during that hideous horrible nasty insanely awful winter we had. The bees are just going gang busters right now. I live amongst the corn fields, but they are bringing in loads of pollen and nectar: they are making honey like little Bosses! Those tiny wings can take them places. I also have a fantastic meadow full of "weeds" for the bees and butterflies
They like photos. :) So go ahead and post a few. I bet everyone would love to see your little meadow.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
We lost both hives over the winter. Fortunately we where able to get new bees this spring. I see more bumble bees than bees at our garden even with the hives there. Puzzling.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
NE IN was cold. Hives made it fine.

Bees do not feed on corn or soybean pollen or flowers unless starved to it. Not even sure if even then. In all my years of walking corn/soybean fields, I can't remember ever seeing bees. In weeds beside the fields, loaded.

Insecticides used on plants has an effective withdrawal of 14 days.

Bees pollinate most vegetables so everyone stop using any insecticides like soaps, Bt, etc.

Jeni Ann

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Seedcorn, you are so right! The best pest control is handpicking. Tedious and often seems pointless, even in a smallish garden. But it is safe.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Quick bee question for yall that know them - is it possible to 'lure' bees into a hive?? Can you set up an empty bee box in the middle of a 'bee garden' and have a hive 'move in'??

<-- has ZERO knowledge about honey bees other than to try and not hurt them

Latest posts