Not good for your thyroid

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was recently diagnosed mildly hypothyroid and started on levothyroxine and am feeling so much better, having much more energy than I have had in a long time. All along I just blamed it on having a new baby and not getting much sleep, but even then it was excessive and although things in my daily routine have not changed, I definitely feel a big difference with the medicine.

Now a couple of weeks later I have been increasingly having a really annoying, uncomfortable tightness in my throat, feels like hands or a scarf too tight around my neck. I haven't been back to my doctor for it yet, but after researching online, I think I've figured out what's going on. I've been over-consuming "goitrogenic foods". I might be a little bit weird, but I crave greens! I've had a bumper crop of kale, mustard and turnips and I've been eating them a couple times a week. You'd THINK that would be a good thing, super-healthy right? Appearantly not! While it's ok to have these in moderation, too much can cause goiter. Just thought I'd share this info in case anyone else on here is possibly addicted to greens too, so you won't have this problem.

Here's the list:

Broccoli
Cauliflower
Kale
Brussels Sprouts
Mustard Greens
Radishes
Spinach
Strawberries
Peaches
Soy-Based Foods
Peanuts
Cabbage
Turnips

I LOVE everything on this list, except the soy. Although I didn't grow any, we also eat a lot of broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage and brussel sprouts. My husband is also hypothyroid and takes a higher dose of levothyroxine than mine. Here I am priding myself in feeding him healthy food. :/ They say cooking some of these well may reduce the effects and if you are on synthetic thyroid hormones, you should still be ok eating them in moderation. We've been eating a LOT lately though.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is wonderful that you are feeling better, Journey. So many women take thyroid hormones but I've just learned that it isn't all that uncommon for men, also. Obviously, it has nothing to do with childbirth for the guys.

But you know me, Journey.

greenman.jpg

Steve

I can't say that I crave leafy greens but I find them easy to grow as a gardener and think of them as being a healthy food. I had read that they can be goitrogenic but also thought a goiter would result in an excess of hormones (not a deficiency). It is a symptom of an excess of thyroid tissue.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think mine have been fluctuating for awhile. I've had spells of anxiety/nervous tension which could be thyroid related. I will definitely make an appt with my doc to rule out some other thyroid conditions like hashimotos. I don't know to what degree having had a baby recently might play into it. Everything seems to go out of whack with those hormones, stress and changes. :p

My doctor said that thyroid problems have become very common in the general population, both men and women, something like 25% of people being hypothyroid. She said there is something in our water (C8, I think is what she said) and also our American eating habits are lower in iodine since we do not eat as much fish and seafood as other cultures.

Who knew one little hormone could mess a person up so badly? I had not felt like myself all year. It is nice to have energy again...I am getting so much more done around here! It is only 25 mcg she put me on. DH takes 175 and has had problems with his for about 15 years now because of some medications he had to take in his 20's.

Mickey328

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Oh dear! I love broccoli! I don't have a thyroid deficiency yet (it runs in the family, though) I do always cook it though, but I reckon we'll need to moderate our intake. Thanks so much for sharing that!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can't help but say, um... So, doritos and twinkies don't hurt us, but greens do?? Something just doesn't seem right with this picture. I just can't wrap my mind around the idea that eating healthy food makes you unhealthy. I am very glad that you are feeling better- and hope you continue on that path! Keep us posted...

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's only in excessive amounts...some kind of chemical or reaction in the body, they affect the body's ability to absorb iodine and most Americans don't get enough iodine anyway. In moderation, they are very good for you! There are a lot of articles on it online...look up "goitrogenic foods".

I've been having something from that list almost every day and when I have greens, I usually have a huge bowl and pour lots of ACV on them. I love them! With both of my pregnancies I would crave spinach. I would make a spinach casserole and eat the whole thing myself. Usually with pregnancy cravings, it is because your body needs it, so I guess that would have been iron?

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
interesting about the iodine issue in Americans. i wonder if part of this is because doctors are now trying to get people to stop adding salt to their foods. part of the reason iodine was being added to salt was so people would get the iodine added into their diets! i do realize that there are a lot of foods today that aren't using your common table salt anymore, they tend to use sea salts or some other exotic type so people think it is something new and healthier for them.

is there some sort of healthy food or veggie you could eat to help offset those hormone issues?

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
As I understand it the only place in the US where the soil is commonly short of iodine is the Great Lakes region. Most of the rest of the country gets it naturally from the local soil or water.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Chickie'sMomaInNH said:
interesting about the iodine issue in Americans. i wonder if part of this is because doctors are now trying to get people to stop adding salt to their foods. part of the reason iodine was being added to salt was so people would get the iodine added into their diets! i do realize that there are a lot of foods today that aren't using your common table salt anymore, they tend to use sea salts or some other exotic type so people think it is something new and healthier for them.

is there some sort of healthy food or veggie you could eat to help offset those hormone issues?
I had wondered about that too...the sea salt. Real sea salt, the good stuff that costs a lot, has many minerals in it too, but it varies.

There are certain foods that support the thyroid and naturally contain more iodine. A lot of it is seafood.

Hoodat, I saw a US geological survey map somewhere in my search that detailed it by state and county level. My county is not in the very dense area, but it is present somewhat. I'd have to see if I can find that again...it was a .gov site, I think.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Live in a place where I can give directions by pointing at my palm pretty sweet.

As I understand it the only place in the US where the soil is commonly short of iodine is the Great Lakes region.
Can't win them all I guess

:cool:

Latest posts