Not only good, but good for you.

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
so lucky said:
jackb, I "threw down" a bunch of mixed lettuce seed that had been stored in my freezer for 8 years. It all came up very well, and there is a beautiful red variety in there, looking very similar to your Lollo Rossa. I think it is called Red Sails, but not real sure. It is beautiful and has leaves as large as my outstretched hand. Don't have a clue if it is as nutritious as the Lollo Rossa, tho. I have to admit, the only way I really like leaf lettuce is "wilted" with hot bacon grease, sugar and vinegar. But I've been eating a lot of it that way!
I have read that all of the red lettuce varieties are more nutritious then green. I have grown red sails and like it, and there is a red romaine called silva that we like also. I also store my lettuce seeds in the freezer and have had great luck doing so. Happy Gardening.
Jack

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
so lucky said:
. . . I have to admit, the only way I really like leaf lettuce is "wilted" with hot bacon grease, sugar and vinegar. But I've been eating a lot of it that way!
I have to admit that - I like it that way too, So Lucky!

Having wilted lettuce a long time ago, was probably the beginning of my interest in stir-fry. If you think about it, what goes into a salad dressing could go into the skillet (or wok) with the veggies. In proper order, of course.

Steve

Latest posts