ohh I blew it.. but

smom1976

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I didnt plant enough on time.. we didnt get our garden going when it was time to do so.. my DH was in a car accident on april 1st (when I got the call thought it was april fools) but our garden was slow getting put together.. we had to make the beds out of wood and stuff.. but I am seeing all these people with awsome flowers and it really gives me inspiration to get it together for next year.. it can only get better year by year right? I guess I am looking for encouraging words..

Thanks for hearing my woes...

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That's it! Think positive for next year. Hope everything is okay from the accident.

You might be able to get some quick growing annuals in that survive colder temps. Like alyssum, some varietals of poppies, etc.

Good luck!

Nubsmum

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Ya what Oakland said. there are some good deals to be had on tray packs this time of year. You might be able to rescue some petunias or marigold that need a home. Just a few can make a lot of difference and ad a lot of cheer. Sorry to hear about hubby. Hope he is better. It really does put things in perspective. OF course careing for a loved one is much more important than puttering in a garden.

:rose

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Smom,

I'm so sorry to hear about your son! I hope that he has recovered. My son was in an accident on Mother's Day weekend. (He is well.)

That's completely normal. I wonder if there's ever a year, even one that goes as planned, in which we plant everything we want to try, and don't think that if we'd just put in this, or done that...

Me, I'm already dreaming of the things I will do better and earlier next year. I had plans for June plantings, and then we ended up with literally hundreds of forest fires. The smoke is so bad that I can't go out most days at all. And even dh had to give up on part of the main garden after that.

So we are making our plans for our fall garden, and I'm plotting (garden pun?) :D next year already.

Have you considered a winter garden, which would be planted from here on? You can grow some greens like collards and kale, cabbages, broccoli, brussel sprouts, cauliflower, carrots, garlic etc. It's not the same, but sure is great to pick your kale for dinner from the garden, even though it's winter! :)

If you need any ideas on a fall garden, just call out! :)

Meanwhile, you bet, it does get better every year, and now you will be ready to go first thing next year! :happy_flower

smom1976

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
thank you all for your enouragement.. it was my husband who was in the car accident.. we are now dealing with disability.. and them wanting to only give the bare min... but I am planning on planting something.. I did find a place that still had seeds.. :rose everyone just doesnt have any. But the place where I buy my chicken feed has lots of seeds.. I just planted spinich and lettus two days ago and I am getting ready to put dirt in another 4 x8 bed to plant winter crop.. my husband wants to greenhouse in some of the beds for the winter.. I am pushing the idea about visqueening in the screened in porch and starting plants to sell for next spring. Thinking about tomato plants I am currently recycling any and every container that I can find that would make a great pot to not have to pay for pots. If I could make around 500$ in the spring that would be great to pay for stuff around the yard.

I think that I will post a topic about it..

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm sorry, I don't know why I saw ds, rather than dh. That's what I get for posting at 4 in the morning, I gues. :rolleyes:

Go for it, what could it hurt? :)

As for your dh, the best of luck. It's not easy to get through all the red tape when it comes to disabilities sometimes. :hugs

DDRanch

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Of course it will get better. Every year in my garden is different, in fact, I did get my garden in on time this year, and about 1/3 of my flowers and vegs have done NOTHING.....so on time is not always an indication of success. I hope your husband is doing well.

Anne

smom1976

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I did it.. I planted another full 4 x6 garden TODAY In August!! :dance

I am so excited..

I went to target to get the kids some school supplies. and :ep they had seeds... yea!! so we got some carrots, radishes, mechlun (not sure about this one) and some stevia.. (I cant believe they had this one)

I planted it in the square foot gardening methood.. so we will see. I am so excited.

My tomatos are doing pretty good and my corn is about 2.5 feet tall.

I did get tomato horn worms on my tomatos we have been hand picking them off and giving them to the chickens.
They love them!!

I am so glad that I did it.

I have 2 more square feet that can be planted.

Any suggestions???

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I did lettuce... there are supposeably a lot of good lettuces for when the cooler whether comes on. I put lettuce in and on everything... love that fresh crunch!

Latest posts