OK, It's Time for all Gardeners to Get into Shape!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, thistle- that is bad timing. Hoping you will be better soon! I fell on the ice last month and really hurt my left wrist...I was thinking at the time- so long as it is better by gardening season! It is about 90 percent- so I will take it. It is so hard to start out slow, when there is so much to do! Be careful everybody!

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
thistle i feel your pain get well soon.

as for getting in shape yup worked on my 12 pack over the winter, well with spring here going to have work it off..;)

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the well wishes everybody. It's hard coming to terms with a body that won't take the abuse I'm used to dishing out to it. It has reached a state of rebellion! Darn body :rant !

Fortunately I have help two days a week when my boys alternate working for their old ma. I make them do the tough stuff while I walk around and do the fun stuff and be their manager! :p

So Lucky, I actually have begun taking turmeric, but in order to sleep I also have taken nsaids. Does the turmeric take awhile to kick in?

Steve, I didn't know those two were in the same family. But I'm not taking them together, or even the same day. The naproxen seemed to do more to relive the swelling. :idunno

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thistle, I can't remember how long I took the turmeric before I saw any difference. Maybe 2 to 3 weeks. It is just a gradual awareness that joints that were perpetually stiff aren't so stiff and sore. could be even longer. It hasn't helped all my aches and pains, but my knees and nagging big toe are definitely more flexible. I am diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis, but my inflammation rate is in the normal range. I attribute it to the natural anti-inflammatories I have been taking the last year or so. Docs say it's the inflammation that can kill you, causing heart attacks and such. :(

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
so lucky said:
Thistle, I can't remember how long I took the turmeric before I saw any difference. Maybe 2 to 3 weeks. It is just a gradual awareness that joints that were perpetually stiff aren't so stiff and sore. could be even longer. It hasn't helped all my aches and pains, but my knees and nagging big toe are definitely more flexible. I am diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis, but my inflammation rate is in the normal range. I attribute it to the natural anti-inflammatories I have been taking the last year or so. Docs say it's the inflammation that can kill you, causing heart attacks and such. :(
Well, I'm committed to taking it however long it takes to see it working. I did some reading on it awhile back because of a post that Hoodat made about his plant. It's full of a lot of wonderful goodies!

Are there other natural anti-inflamatories also?

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
thistlebloom said:
so lucky said:
Well, I'm committed to taking it however long it takes to see it working. I did some reading on it awhile back because of a post that Hoodat made about his plant. It's full of a lot of wonderful goodies!

Are there other natural anti-inflamatories also?
A tea made of crushed coriander seed and savory is a good anti inflamatory.

Mickey328

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Ginger, Holy Basil, Aloe Vera and Feverfew are also good for inflammation. You could easily make a tea from the Ginger and Holy Basil; Aloe Vera gel/juice is available in many grocery stores. For the Feverfew, I'd recommend a tincture...it tastes really nasty and as a tincture you only need a tsp or so which can be swallowed down quick.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mickey328 said:
Ginger, Holy Basil, Aloe Vera and Feverfew are also good for inflammation. You could easily make a tea from the Ginger and Holy Basil; Aloe Vera gel/juice is available in many grocery stores. For the Feverfew, I'd recommend a tincture...it tastes really nasty and as a tincture you only need a tsp or so which can be swallowed down quick.
I've never made a tincture, how would you do it with feverfew Mickey? THAT, I have tons of!

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
To make a ticture, chop up the plant and submerge it is alcohol. High proof vodka works well. This may clear up any confusion.
Herbal preparations some terms
Whats the difference between a tea, a tisane, an infusion, a decoction, and a tincture? Here are some of the many methods we employ to capture the essential oils and additional active constituents found in medicinal plants.

Tisane an herbal tea brewed in water from any plant materials other than the true tea plant (Camellia sinensis).
Infusion similar to a tisane or decoction, but generally more potent, with the plant materials left to steep in oil or boiling water for some time.
Decoction prepared by boiling ground-up or mashed plant materials in water, then straining the preparation.
Tincture an extract prepared by placing herbs or other plant material in a jar with ethanol or another form of alcohol, allowing to stand for a couple weeks or longer, shaken periodically, then strained. Vinegar or glycerin is sometimes used in place of alcohol.

Latest posts