OKRA, First timers question?

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I am growing okra for the first time, plants are about 2' tall and have started to produced what would look to me to be the pods the fruit will develope from. These pods have been visable for about 5 days or so. Today I noticed flowers where some of the pods are developing. Is this normal?
THANX RICH

People say I'm getting crankier as I get older. That's not it. I just find I enjoy annoying people a lot more now. Especially younger people!!!

Ron

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Yes. The flowers should last only one day open, then close and the okra pod will begin to develop. I don't know your growing conditions but here where I am with lots of heat and humidity they are ready to pick a couple of days after the flower falls off. I pick every other day. If you let the pods get too large, they will be hard and tough. What variety are you growing?

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ron said:
Yes. The flowers should last only one day open, then close and the okra pod will begin to develop. I don't know your growing conditions but here where I am with lots of heat and humidity they are ready to pick a couple of days after the flower falls off. I pick every other day. If you let the pods get too large, they will be hard and tough. What variety are you growing?
I don't know the variety, I bought the seeds at our feed store in bulk but only wrote down OKRA on the sack I put them in. Thanks for the quick reply.
By the way I'm in Mo west of St Louis about 30 miles. Up until last Fri. it's been very hot and humid and the forcast is it will return starting today (Monday)!!!
THANX RICH

People say I'm getting crankier as I get older. That's not it. I just find I enjoy annoying people a lot more now. Especially younger people!!!

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well I was in the feed store today and remembered to ask what type of Okra I would have bought from them. It is Clemson Spineless.
As Ron stated the flowers lasted about one day and they're gone. I guess we'll see some production now.
THANX RICH

Dennis1979

Leafing Out
Reaction score
dickiebird said:
Well I was in the feed store today and remembered to ask what type of Okra I would have bought from them. It is Clemson Spineless.
As Ron stated the flowers lasted about one day and they're gone. I guess we'll see some production now.
THANX RICH

That's the variety that I planted. It is doing real well for me. I used Clemson Spineless because it was recommended for my area. Once those flowers fall off things happen pretty quick. Be sure to check it every day because if you miss a day the okra pods can get too big as Ron said.

Mine started producing about a week or so ago and I have a good bag full now in the fridge. I plan to fry them up real soon.

Dennis

Texan

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Ron said:
How do you get away with picking every other day? I am Houston(ish) and I have to pick twice a day or I end up with Okra that is to big. I had forgotten what fresh Okra taste like.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Come up north and you are lucky to pick them once every 3 days.....they don't like cold weather at all.

Ron

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Yes, Texan, I do fudge a bit by only picking every other day! With Louisiana Green Velvet I can get away with it. And no, seedcorn, they don't like cold AT ALL! The sad part for those who have trouble growing okra is that about mid-September they will still be producing very well but I'll will pull them because I need the room for the Fall stuff and I will be VERY tired of okra and my freezer will have enough too!

Ron

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Ron said:
Yes, Texan, I do fudge a bit by only picking every other day! With Louisiana Green Velvet I can get away with it. And no, seedcorn, they don't like cold AT ALL! The sad part for those who have trouble growing okra is that about mid-September they will still be producing very well but I'll will pull them because I need the room for the Fall stuff and I will be VERY tired of okra and my freezer will have enough too!
P.S. Clemson Spineless is a very good variety but I just don't like the ridges and its tendency to get hard quickly.

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
When I lived in TX, Austin Co. to be exact, our neighbors asked us to babysit their okra when they would leave town for the day. We got to keep what we picked for helping. Yes that okra grows sooo fast!!!!

When you can't take it anymore, dehydrate it. First slice it salt it and let er rip in the dehydrator. You haven't lived until you have had dried, crispy okra! :drool

Latest posts