OKRA, First timers question?

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am very unsure about okra. but since I live in the south I might give it a try next year.

Ron

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Wow, BigBrownHorse, THANKS for the suggestion! I had never heard of that. I have a dehydrator and will definitely try it. Just salt it and then dry it?

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Yep. Try a small batch first.

My mom runs an Antique show in TX and the farmer who does the "farmer's market" for her dries it and it sells like hot cakes. You literally have to be first in line, or it is all gone. He stores it in ball canning jars.

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ron said:
Yes. The flowers should last only one day open, then close and the okra pod will begin to develop. I don't know your growing conditions but here where I am with lots of heat and humidity they are ready to pick a couple of days after the flower falls off. I pick every other day. If you let the pods get too large, they will be hard and tough. What variety are you growing?
Well, Ron was right on, I picked my first okra this evening!!!
THANX RICH

People say I'm getting crankier as I get older. That's not it. I just find I enjoy annoying people a lot more now. Especially younger people!!!

kenman

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
Yep. Try a small batch first.

My mom runs an Antique show in TX and the farmer who does the "farmer's market" for her dries it and it sells like hot cakes. You literally have to be first in line, or it is all gone. He stores it in ball canning jars.
My first time planting okra at this place was last season. I planted about 50 feet of row, a dwarf variety. It was supposed to be a cute little plant that got about four feet tall. They started producing at about two to three feet tall. Every other day I picked okra. Every day it got taller. We ate okra, we froze okra, we gave okra away. The problem was that the taller it got, the more it produced. My girls were helping pick for awhile until they said "no more." At the end of the season, this dwarf variety was 10-12 feet tall and I was picking two five gallon bucketfuls each time I went out. It was crazy. My neighbors, relatives, people I would meet on the street all had plenty of okra.
So yes, first timers, plant a small amount until you know what your soil will do. And beware of the green dwarf, it will grow on you.

Ron

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Glad to hear it dickiebird! Keep on pickin'! Like kenman said, once it starts, it really produces.

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well I picked my first okra on the 9th and today I made something out of them. Not knowing what I wanted to do with them, but knowing that they are kinda slimy as a dish, and not having a deep fryer to fry them up, I pickled them.
Went and spent a hundred bucks for a canner and all the fixens I figured I would need. I pickled a whole 2 pints!!! Looking at the amount of product I had I made up enough pickling solution for at least 6 pints. Man it takes a lota okra to fill 6 of those ity bity jars.
I had a bunch of fresh green beans so I filled the rest of my jars with them.
Let me be the first to tell you that first time canning is a chore!!! I believe I have a handle on it now so I see more canning in the future. I did spend the extra bucks and got a pressure canner which can also be used as a water canner and a pressure cooker.
THANX RICH

People say I'm getting crankier as I get older. That's not it. I just find I enjoy annoying people a lot more now. Especially younger people!!!

maidservant

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Wow, deep fried okra...never thought about that one! What we do is slice it into 1/4 inch slices, toss some plain cornmeal over it, sprinkle some salt over it, and put it into our skillet. A touch of oil is really all you need to keep it from sticking. Turn it over in sections, then break the sections up if needed. Fresh pan fried okra over an open flame is wonderful when you're camping!

Emily in NC

PS - I always cut off the leaf below the pod when I pick. This causes the plant to grow up quicker and up=more pods. I've had to pull out our 15 ft ladder to reach the tops of some last year. If we have too much, we either give it away or slice it and freeze it for in the midde of winter.

Latest posts