okra

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
To late for this year but what variety of okra has pods that stay tender the longest? I grow clemson spineless but at times, they go woody and aren't even 3" long. Trying red okra this year.

herbsherbsflowers

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Found this list on a blog. My dad grew cow horn. I like Clemson Spineless and Emerald.

Red Burgundy - Four foot tall plants with six to eight inch maroon pods, some of the color even extends into the plants leaves and stems.
Silver Queen Okra - Tall six foot plants produce tender pale whitish-green pods.
Star of David - This Israeli heirloom grows pods that have a very unique shape and strong flavor from okra plants reaching up to seven feet.
Alabama Red - A heirloom okra originating from the state of Alabama produces unusual fat red pods.
Cow Horn - This giant okra variety can grow eight feet tall and supply the cook with large yields of slender pods reaching ten inches in length without becoming woody.
Louisiana Short - A prolific producer of tasty and extremely plump six-inch pods.
Hill Country Heirloom Red - This okra variety is a Texas heirloom with attractive reddish-green pods.
Burmese Okra - An early yielder, this heirloom from Burma will continue producing pods for the kitchen until fall frosts arrive.
Jade - High yields of early maturing dark green okra pods on four foot tall plants.
Emerald - Early, unique smooth-round pods, this may be the okra variety that my grandfather grew years ago in his Southern Maryland garden.

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Prelude is one the best varieties we have ever grown and continue to grow. They are very dark green pods and stay tender even if picked longer. The plant is pretty compact too about 4 feet. It's an open-pollinated variety. One of the biggest reasons most okra will lose their tenderness is due to cold. They grow best in 70-85 degree temps. More suited for the heat than the cold. IME.

Good luck!

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh! Glad I found this list of Okra that herbsherbsflowers put up, plus that Prelude variety from oaklandcityfarmer mentioned!

I have to get new Okra seed. Guess I lost my seed I had in Montana. A box got left in the move, a box of seeds. That was back in november 07. I keep on noticing seeds missing that must have been in that one box! Most of my sunflower varieties. The 2 boxes i did bring were the biggest, but still, I miss my ligularia and most of the Perennials...

Anyhow, more Cow Horn, and one called Eagle Pass, and, anyone ever grow that Silver Queen?

:caf

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cowhorn. I have seed that was given to me that is supposed to be cowhorn, but don't really know for sure. It has 2 different varieties in the seed. One has a wide lobed leaf and slender okra pods, the other has narrow lobed leaves and a fat ribbed okra pod. Both grow long without getting tough. Cowhorn?? (shrugs) It's just good okra. :lol:

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wish everyone could post pix of their varities. I'm a pix person.

AdamBorzy

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I like how okra thickens stews and soups. my favorites :D

They are not difficult to grow as long as it has hot weather,
fertile soil and steady supply of water.

Latest posts