okra

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I planted 2 different types of okra this year. There is a difference how they come up and take off. Anyone else notice it?

jamespm_98

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I planted "Clemson Spineless" and "Cowhorn" varieties of okra. I noticed the Cowhorn seems to grow a little faster and the plants are a little bigger. Both are putting on a great crop, I just started cutting Okra about a week ago.

jemagsy

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I have noticed that the Clemson Spineless I planted this year did a lot better than last year's crop (which never did take off). I don't remember what I planted last year though and it could definitely have been gardener error at fault for production.

I am quite happy w/ the Clemson btw.

davaroo

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I'm gonna try my first ever okra this time, also Clemson Spineless.
Thats kinda' natural thing to find on seed shelves, considering I live in South Carolina!

It'll be just a few plants, to see if I can eat it. I have never really been a fan of okra except when fried, but I hear tomato bases cut the sliminess.

We'll see. ;)

Texan

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I dont know what kind I planted. I went to the feed store and therer was this jar of okra seeds so I bought a little bag of them and planted them. I think I actually have two kinds. I know that you must pick them morning and night or they will get to big.

I had forgotten how good fresh okra taste.

Next year I want to plant some of those red ones.

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am beyond jealous of anyone who can grow okra :(

does anyone in the PNW grow it ..will it grow in a pot?
cold frame it?

do I have to build a green house and buy special grow lights ???because I will I love this vegetable that much!!!

ok probably not but I could rig something!

davaroo

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
HiDelight said:

cold frame it?

do I have to build a green house and buy special grow lights ???because I will I love this vegetable that much!!!

It needs long periods of warmth to grow properly. Let me change that - long periods of heat.

It can be grown in containers, or so I've read. But you would likely need to create an artificial environment for it, ala, hot house or frame.

Its a member of the hyacyinth family, did you know that?

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
davaroo said:
HiDelight said:

cold frame it?

It needs long periods of warmth to grow properly. Let me change that - long periods of heat.

It can be grown in containers, or so I've read. But you would likely need to create an artificial environment for it, ala, hot house or frame.

Its a member of the hyacyinth family, did you know that?
no I didnt that is very interesting because I die for the smell of hyacinth in the springtime!!! they are so pretty! ...so is okra actually especially when the pods curl up and dry they are stunning I think!

thank you for the answer!

I would like to "create" that environment and move into it about March here ..I would I bet if I could create a place that climate that could grow okra even if artificial ..here in Western WA I would have my Nirvana and move right in ...

Ron

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Davaroo, are you sure you don't mean the hibiscus family? It is a member of the mallow family, along with cotton and hollyhocks etc.

Ron

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
HiDelight, our "nirvana" is currently running at 100 degrees in the afternoons! PLEASE, PLEASE come and get some of it! By the way, my okra is going crazy. I have to pick it every day or it gets too big. Also, I grow Louisiana green velvet variety. An old standby.