okra

davaroo

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Ron said:
Davaroo, are you sure you don't mean the hibiscus family? It is a member of the mallow family, along with cotton and hollyhocks etc.
Ooops a foot in mouth moment, I think. You're probably right - my memory aint what it used to be.
Sorry about that.

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ron said:
HiDelight, our "nirvana" is currently running at 100 degrees in the afternoons! PLEASE, PLEASE come and get some of it! By the way, my okra is going crazy. I have to pick it every day or it gets too big. Also, I grow Louisiana green velvet variety. An old standby.
I love hot weather if it is not too humid is it humid there? ..we are having a run on it and very little rain actually so it is very nice ..hot and dry but dusty!!! ...wish I had tried okra this year ..but you never know what next week holds you know? ..we can pretend we know but really we dont!

funny a hyacinth is a bulb and okra is not :pI totally let that one slide by!

LOL hibiscus/hyacinth very close!!!

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
ps I have a hibiscus

6185_jesses_hybiscus.jpg

Ron

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Yes, HiDelight, we are also "blessed" with very high humidity! We are about 20 miles from the Gulf. And I really am going to have to try okra curry!

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I planted clemson spinless and cajun variety. The Clemson came up better and is growing faster. I'll see which fruits first.

Up North the okra season is very short but very much worth it.

Ron

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
seedcorn, by "cajun" variety do you mean Louisiana Green Velvet? That's what I grow. I produces a round pod without ridges.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
think so. If you like it, hope it is. It isn't as hardy as clemson is tho--so far. Daughter and I eat okra a lot.

How is pickled okra? I mainly fry it and gumbo it.

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ron I know this is off topic but SE Texas is just beautiful I went camping down the coast to South Padre and then along the boarder ..wow just stunning! and the birds!! omg it is a birdwatchers heaven! ..and all those tropical fruits!!! you do live in a beautiful place I have always wanted to come back during the spring migrations...sigh brain wandering againg ...

back to okra Seedcorn

pickled okra is very good! it holds up well is crispy not slimy at all! ..

it tastes entirely different from any other way of preparing it ..I have never made it but people have given me jars when I lived in places where it grew and when a jar was opened it was emptied! I had no problem consuming a jar of pickled okra myself :)

if you have enough and love pickles then you should make some!

Ron

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
HiDelight, thanks for the kind words. I guess when you have lived in the same area all your life you tend to forget about its good qualities! You have made the right points. I love the greeness and the ability to have a garden year-round. Glad you enjoyed your visit and y'all come back! Also very good info about pickled okra. That reminded me that I have a jar left from last summer somewhere. And yes, seedcorn, Louisiant green velvet is my favorite. When my grandmother, a very wise and master gardener of the Cajun variety who had to garden to feed her family during the Depression on a Louisana tenant farm, was alive I helped her work her garden and we would grow and sell large amounts of garden produce and the okra was one of our mainstays. She worked the garden until she was 94 and lived to 99. I thank her for all the garden knowledge she passed on to me!