Old canning pot

crazzzymike13

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I bought a canning pot from a yard sell for 5.00. The old lady told me to put a new seal on it. I ordered one and got it today. I tried putting in on and it seems like the seal may be a little big. I know I ordered the right one. Any suggestions? It's a Presto 16 qt Model7-B

Mike

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Wow Mike, $5 is a good deal if it's in good shape. Your new seal should fit right into the "C" shaped channel around the outside edge of the lid. The rubber seal itself should be "C" shaped and the open part of the "C" should be toward the center of the lid. Sometimes an abused pressure canner lid can have the "C" shape squashed in some places and it will not allow the new seal to fit in. I think it would be OK if you checked for this condition and to use a pair of pliers to open (very slightly) the "C" until the seal fits into it's resting place. You can also use a very small amount of cooking oil and rub it onto the seal while it out of the lid. This may allow you to slip the seal into the lid.

If the seal appears to be either too big or too small in diameter then you must have been shipped the wrong seal.

We have two Presto 7-B canners and have used them for many years with excellent performance. After each use we wash all parts thoroughly and I put a very light coat of oil on the rubber seal. Then I store the seals inside the canner and not in their "C" shaped homes on the lids.

Good luck.

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I had to replace the seal on my 7B, too, and I do remember it seeming too big. You just have to work with it a bit to get it to fit. Make sure you take it down to your county extension office to have them check it out before you do any pressure canning. They can test it for tiny cracks that you might not be able to see.

crazzzymike13

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Ok I got it on! I had to work it around. I want to test it out. Maybe I can boil some water and see if it keeps pressure. I can't wait to start canning. This will be the first time. I have a book on canning and I may try a recipe soon. Ty for the replies.

Mike

Latest posts