Old Front Yard photo from Feb 2007

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The other day I posted some photos of the front yard.

This is how it looked when I was just starting the walk project from the driveway to the front door back in 2007.

FrontYardFeb102007email.jpg

Quite a difference from how it looks now.

http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=27957

Mattemma

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I love seeing before and after(and after) pictures. What made you switch from the stone path to the turf grass?

I can't wait to get some nasts going.I like their taste and look.

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Mattemma said:
I love seeing before and after(and after) pictures. What made you switch from the stone path to the turf grass?

I can't wait to get some nasts going.I like their taste and look.
The walkway has been an on going process, the stepping stones were just to help me not step in mud, while deciding on the placement of the flagstones I was putting in. Here are some photos from the Spring and Summer of 2007

April 7, 2008
FlagstonewalkwayApril07email.jpg

June 9, 2007
June9fromDrivewaywetemail.jpg

May 13 2007 Sideyard by gas meter
May132007fromsideyardemail.jpg

May 13 2007 looking toward street from side yard.
May132007fromsideyardcircleemail.jpg

May 13, 2007 looking from street to "Butterfly Garden"
May132007fromstreetemail.jpg

This is one of my favorite photos of that year. I made an arch from four sunfowers and grew Morning Glories up them.
Sept. 30 2007
Sept302007Archemail.jpg

In fact that year I had three sunflower arches in the front garden. Here is a photo looking back through the arches.
Sept 14, 2007
Sept142007lookingbackArchesemail.jpg

Now you asked what made me switch to turf..

I had originally planted Dichondra between the Flagstones. Dichondra here in the summer needs to be watered twice a day to survive the intense heat. That summer my water bill for one month was over $400.00, and my husband hit the roof.

The next couple of years I struggled to keep the water bill in line. Then I stumbled across the idea of artificial turf between the stones. I got a couple rolls of the stuff for FREE from a local landscaper.

Trying to cut it to fit between the stones was a real pain! So... I just put down a path of the stuff, and I liked the way it looked without the stones.

And I don't have to water or mow it. I do have to rake and vacuum it from time to time.

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
ducks4you said:
Did you do anything special to prep the dirt under your stones--THAT looked nice and level.
I sat in the dirt for about two weeks digging up and sifting out Bermuda grass and stones. It was a real PAIN, since that area had been a lawn for many years. I got tips from the fellow that gave me the flagstones, he installs Flagstone as a business. He gave me some "scraps" to do the job. He and his wife delivered a lot of flagstone to me.

When I removed the flagstone from the front yard, I had enough to do my back garden, by the chicken coop
coopfrombackfence02emal.jpg

and under my clotheslines. I want to cut my remaining artificial turf to go between the stones here. I just have to find the time and the willingness to sit out there and cut it to fit!
July142009Lookingwestemail.jpg

with some left over as stepping stones here and there through out the rest of my yard.

All for FREE!! It was such a blessing!!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
True--free IS a blessing! Here I am, using a calculator to figure out what kind of stone is cheapest (on sale) to use to edge one of my beds! One type of stone is about $10 for 39 feet (7&3/4" long, 4/$1.00), and another is closer to $35 (12" long, $1.29/each, B2G1) for the same distance. You see, we have A LOT of grass, so I like to set stones level to the ground, so that I can run the wheels of my mower over the stones and avoid spending extra time with a trimmer.
Ah, well--my manure is free.

Mattemma

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I love that morning glory arch.I am going to try that this year.