Old Tomato/Berry Strainer

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I hauled out my old tomato/berry strainer yesterday to remove seeds from some roma tomatoes I was given. I cooked them on low heat for a bit, along with some cherry tomatoes I grew, then poured them in the strainer. I froze the juice for now, until I get the 2nd round of squash to go in soup along with butterbeans, potatoes and green beans.

I got to thinking about this old strainer and the history behind it. I got it out of a house I rented when I was 20 years old.....loooooong time ago. ;) The house belonged to an elderly lady whose family had to place her in a nursing home and none of them wanted the old strainer. I was delighted to have it and made many jars of jelly and canned tomatoes using the strainer. Curious, I looked them up on ebay. You can find "vintage aluminum colander juicer strainer wooden masher pestle" for $15 to $30 dollars. I can't believe they are so cheap, I wouldn't take anything for mine. :love But I guess in today's electronic push-button, whirrrrrrr-it's-done, kitchen gadget world, nobody wants to use a manual kitchen gadget. Yes, I have electronic gadgets and I love them dearly, but sometimes it is just as nice to get out the old strainer and wooden pestle and mash some tomatoes or berries.

7949_tomato_strainer.jpg

7949_tomatoes_in_strainer.jpg

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is the coolest thing! Thanks for the story! Isn't it funny what some people will give away? I once worked as a 'grounds keeper' for a couple (actually, I think I was just there to keep the wife company). Anyway, they had a room in the barn that they stored EVERYTHING in. I was trying to clean it up once and found 2 old trunks that had 3 old hand-made quilts in them. The room was not critter proof and they had mouse poo on them and reeked of cat pee - but otherwise were in good shape. I was so excited for her and carried them up to the back deck. She was not happy. Made me rinse off the deck because she claimed she 'could smell that garabage' for days. I took them home, washed them several times and hung them out in the sun for days. I'm thrilled to have thequilts grace my den and bedroom (odor free!)and the trunks hold various bits and pieces in the feed room in my barn now.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mom had exactly that same thing. Im amazed that they are that cheap.

Ive got the Squeezo strainer with three different screens for berries, tomatoes, and whatever that bigger one is for. Im not convinced that the Squeezo is all that much faster, but the extra screens really help me.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
What a great story! I have a few of those- different shapes and sizes. They work great! I did receive a hand-me-down Squeezo last year and used it for sauce. It was pretty cool. Dh loves him a gadget, so it really appealed to him! Do you have chickens? They love those seeds... By the end of tomato season last year, my girls were getting bored with them- but early in the season they went crazy for them!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love the old fashioned gadgets. I would have thought something that old would be worth a ton. That's what I expected you to say!

Mary

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Man, now I feel like an antique. I have used one like that quite a bit. I don't know if I still have it or not, but sure remember making jelly and juice with it. I bought a Vitorio (Victorio?) strainer last year. That's still pretty basic, and works well.

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
mom used to have one of these. I have looked and looked for one to no avail. yesterday I broke down and bought a Good Grips food mill. I've got all these tomatoes taking up the entire kitchen and must do something with them tomorrow. i'm just having a little difficulty with motivation

Latest posts