OMG watermelons!

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I was out picking zucchini (of course), and I found two teeny tiny little watermelons hiding under the squash leaves!

Every last one of my watermelons has failed in the past! This one has survived both a sub-optimal, part-shaded spot AND the dreaded powdery mildew! It is called Black Tail Mountain Watermelon, in case you wanted to get it for next year. I know I will.

They are still smallish. One is the size of a half-dollar, the other about the size of a wiffle ball. Hoping I can get at least one of em to eating size before the frosts really hit, by means of plastic covers and such... :fl

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Congrats Rosalind! I did not have any luck with the melons this year.
Last year I got a couple of small ones but nothing to write home about.
I have been debating on giving up on them all together but may give next year one more go before I call it quits.
I bought some moon and star seeds but maybe I will try your recommendation.
Where did you get your seeds from?

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Congrats Rosalind ;) !!

I also didnt get any melons this year, i mean i got some that were forming but not enough time for them to ripen. I even tried blacktail mountain but i think i planted a little too late i'll try black tail mountain next year planting a little earlier this time.

That blacktail watermelon is suppose to withstand temperatures around 40's, so thats a good chance you'll get some to ripen. I would cover them like you mentioned if frost is ahead.

Good Luck!!! Let us know how they turn out.

chills

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
thats exciting .. im not good at melons either, i dont know if its me, the soil, the lack of bees? or of course a combo of all and somethings i still dont know about!
from 2 watermelon vines i got 1 melon about the size of a softball, and from 1 honeydew vine i got 1 melon a little bigger than a softball, and from 1 cantaloupe vine i got 2 very very tasty melons ..
i sure wish i had so many i wouldnt know what to do with them ...
i hope yours survive ....

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
simple life said:
Where did you get your seeds from?
Got the seeds from Seed Savers Exchange. Started them pretty late, that's why I'm surprised they are producing at all--the first batch of seedlings I put out in early April got cooked when I didn't open the cold frame enough on a warm day. I started new seedlings right away, but wasn't expecting much out of em. So I am very pleasantly surprised.

They are supposed to taste pretty good for an early melon. I can't wait!