onions in low tunnels at UNH

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We have a high tunnel with a low tunnel inside it for winter greens. The rodents decimated them all, but maybe they wouldn't eat the onions.
One thing I don't understand though. I was always told that the onion bulbs start to size up after the summer solstice, and that the size of the greens at that point determines the size of the bulbs. Are these full size onions? It seems like they wouldn't get enough light.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i was curious about that too. they didn't mention which onion varieties they were working with either. i'll have to delve into UNH's website to get more info.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
ah! found the original article! http://colsa.unh.edu/aes/article/onions

out of the 4 mentioned, Bridger, T420, Top-Keeper and Keepsake Yellow, i've only heard of Bridger and Keepsake Yellow. Bridger is sold through Johnny's Seeds and it doesn't say if it is a long, intermediate or short day type. http://www.johnnyseeds.com/p-8367-bridger.aspx
Keepsake and Top-Keeper seem to be sold through Territorial Seed and are toted as an over-winter onion. (i didn't know of this category for onions)
it seems the T420 is still being researched and may not be on the market yet.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
There is a blogger (is that what they are called?) in the Appalachians called "Old Mother's Hubbard" or something like that. She shows details on making a low tunnel using bendable PVC pipe that is so simple even I can do it.
I haven't been brave enough to check mine since the 5 degree temps we had this past week, tho. The voles may be having a fiesta in there. (gotta remember to get some One Bite)