Ordered my first batch of 2013 seeds!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
HotPepperQueen said:
I have only ever had one pepper turn red for me- and when I cut it open it was moldy. Those were Red Chinese Giants. . .
I think you may have done better than I did with Chinese Giants, HPQ. The plants really only had ONE very large pepper on each. Then, there might be a couple wimpy ones . . . I don't remember any actually ripening.

A real screw-up in 2012 was growing a variety that I felt had a good chance of ripening, then losing them in the garden! They weren't a bell - an Italian sweet - and I lost the plant label. Several weeks after I began to harvest green peppers, I realized that 4 plants were not like any of the other Italian peppers. By that time, the cold fall weather was screaming down on us. Oh, no! So, I never learned if Carmen peppers were going to turn red in my garden. I started to pick them while they were still green.

Jared77 said:
. . . Im thinking of trying to find a slightly smaller bell pepper maybe next year. . .
I have grown Yummy peppers thru 2 seasons. They are little sweet peppers, maybe very much like the ones Territorial has. I got the seed from Totally Tomatoes (or, Jungs). They are great!

Very small and not usually with 4 lobes so, only those have a real bell shape. Most are 2 or 3-lobe peppers. They are very nice and sweet and they will ripen, altho' it is in the final weeks of the season. Also, the plants are prolific and, as best as I can determine, open-pollinated.

Steve

HotPepperQueen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Now that I come to think of it, I grew a variety about three years ago that was just called "Mini Bells" that I bought from my friend Gordon. I had some space and he wanted to get rid of them. They all turned orange or red and tasted great and were crispy but I had too much faith in the weather man one night and didn't cover them and they froze. They had a ton of peppers on them too so I was very dissapointed, but I was the only one who ate them and there was probably three gallon buckets worth on the plants (maybe it was a blessing in disguise).

I have had the chocolate bells in salads before and I thought they were devine! Thanks for reminding me of those Smart Red- looks like i'm ordering more seeds...
This past summer I grew red, purple, orange, and yellow carrots and LOVED all of them. None of them got woody and I had a ton! My biggest carrot was a yellow one and it was 13 inches long and only an inch in diameter. I will forever grow these yellow carrots because they taste so good. They are called Yellow Stone from Jung. The red carrots did the least for me but I still had a decent crop. Smart Red, you should try the yellow ones- our zones aren't that different. Maybe if we got a seed swap going....

I have had many more requests from my customers since I ordered. It's hard not to try so many new things, especially since I have the space and (kind of) the time. Here in MN we don't have that much variety when it comes to buying tomatoes from a greenhouse. You pretty much get Early Girls, Beefsteak, Brandywine, and Super Sweet 100s. So I like offering a lot of new and different things. Not to mention, last year I made enough money off of selling plants to pay for all the seeds and soil. I spend $60 on plastic pots and almost all of them were returned and my mom's hoarder friend gave me a bunch that she has been saving from green houses for over 10 years. Crazy! But I got lots of freebies out of it :D

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
HotPepperQueen said:
I have had the chocolate bells in salads before and I thought they were devine! Thanks for reminding me of those Smart Red- I will forever grow these yellow carrots called Yellow Stone from Jung. The red carrots did the least for me but I still had a decent crop. Smart Red, you should try the yellow ones- our zones aren't that different. Maybe if we got a seed swap going.... :D
I actually grew a rainbow of carrots. . . many shades of white, yellow, and orange. The g-kids liked them all, but the heirloom 'Dragons' were the best, IMHO. Roger on a seed swap. I grow many varieties, but never a lot of any one seed so there's always too many sitting in bags to be forgotten by seed-buying time in the spring.

Love, Smart Red

HotPepperQueen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hehe I have a huge plastic container in my closet of seeds- there are probably over 30 varieties in there! Some of them just don't grow well in my area so I need someone from a more southern area to take them off my hands so they don't go to waste!

Latest posts