Owwwwwww !!!!!

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
A little background. I worked inside the house due to daily rain. For 2 weeks, I have been up in the attic area ballancing on the rafters as I creeped apong, as well as crawling underneath the house ( @ 2 ft clearence) dozens of times because I needed to rewire the laundry room, kitchen, master bathroom and garage. :frow When I finished doing so on a late Thurday afternoon ( a week and a half ago) and it was nice and sunny on Friday and Saturday. :coolsun I whent outside to do a little weeding in the front flower bed ( 15' by 2.5' ) that is well composted and the weeds were about 2"-4" tall. :coolsun Well, I got my plastic cushion, sat down on it and proceeded to pull those &@#$%^ weeds. :rant Easy peasy !!! :throw Sunday I ached all over. :he Monday morning my L knee hurt quite a bit, some Tylenal helped a great deal. :/ It hurt somewhat the rest of the week and I didn't do any work as it rained every day too. However this last Saturday morning , I couldn't get out of bed due to the L knee area pain. :rant Emergency room exam and X- ray showed a partial tair of the L ligament at the interior side of the knee. :somad Recovery time ... at least 6 weeks. There goes my plans for a new vegy garden for this year. Gardening is great exersize but quite dangerous at the same time. :smack

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
It seems like a person is much better served by locking themself in a room with a mystery novel, when those bouts of high enthusiasm and energy strike. I have hurt myself numerous times when I momentarily felt great, then took weeks to heal and watch the world go on without me.:( :( :( . I hope your recovery goes well. Try not to be too discouraged, and don't rush the healing process. :hugs

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, you gotta be careful, Bob.

I was wondering the other day about how long it has been that I've been bracing myself every time I bend a knee. In recent years, I have been bracing myself without bending a knee. My work as a wholesale florist was essentially a "materials handler." I mean, sometimes they were ugly cardboard boxes! The very heaviest, largest and ugliest cardboard boxes had the most attractive things inside. Still, I may as well have been bucking hay bales.

You know what I'd blame? Walking those rafters set you up for it. I have a fan that should be replaced but I just can't imagine getting into the attic for that 15 minute job! Someone would have to come up there to get me or they'd find my mummified remains in some future century!

My best ideas: Take it easy and allow yourself to heal. Talk to your doc about anti-inflammatories and then talk to him/her about what they might do to your stomach. Forget about muscle relaxants, if you can, until after you've got your 1040 form completed . . . find yourself on the highway to the Yakima Valley ("A delicious place to live!") and/or a good green grocer for the next 12 months.

Steve

nittygrittydirtdigger

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ouch! My knees hurt just thinking about all that stooping and bending and walking around like that. Might I suggest a little turmeric to help with the inflamation? It's good stuff, lots of medically acknowledged benefits.

In the meantime, you have plenty of time to plan plan plan the next garden!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
nittygrittydirtdigger said:
Ouch! My knees hurt just thinking about all that stooping and bending and walking around like that. Might I suggest a little turmeric to help with the inflamation? It's good stuff, lots of medically acknowledged benefits.

In the meantime, you have plenty of time to plan plan plan the next garden!
X2 on the Turmeric!

RidgebackRanch

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
My right knee is totally shot, bone on bone and a host of other issues. Got fitted with a custom made brace and have been relatively pain and drug free for 3 years. At most a little Advil is all it takes to be comfortable.

The MRI was $1000.00 and the brace was $600.00 but it was much cheaper than a new knee, that I was not ready for according to the insurance company.

There are many alternatives out there, and one could probably help you. I hope you find one!!!:)

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
hgggh! Hang in there Bob. Might could get someone to do a bit of the gardening for you

Mickey328

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Maybe you can get one of those little wheelie cart things you sit on and creep around to garden. It's slow but it saves a lot of wear and tear on the knees. I blew out both mine gardening about 20 years ago...too much squatting. I have to just bend over (hard on the back) or flat out sit down and scooch around like a little one before they crawl and walk. It takes some planning...gotta have all the tools I need right near by so I can drag 'em along with me cuz it's a PITA to have to get all the way up on my feet, get my stuff and walk a yard away and sit back down again. I get lots of "grassy butt" type stains and it takes longer but at least I can get the job done...sorta. LOL

Here's hoping it heals well and quickly for you and that you are able to find a good "work around" :)

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Quoted from a speech Mark Twain gave on his 70th birthday (a ripe old age for those times)

I have never taken any exercise, except sleeping and resting, and I never intend to take any. Exercise is loathsome. And it cannot be any benefit when you are tired; I was always tired. (Laughter.) But let another person try my way, and see where he will come out.

I desire now to repeat and emphasize that maxim: We cant reach old age by another mans road. My habits protect my life, but they would assassinate you.

Latest posts